The Town of the Lawless

Vasconian airships were considered the best in the world. Because of the uninhabitable geography of their country, flight was the quickest, easiest, and, in some cases, only method of travel. As a result of that, they had the best engines, the strongest ships, and the best sailors.

Therefore, it wasn't a surprise to Felicie when the Cacher raced away from Duhghlas and the Lloegyrian navy wasn't able to catch up to them. Lloegyr's land was fertile and easily traversed. Consequently, they didn't have the same need for airships that Vasconia did. The horizon was clear on all sides as they raced towards the north, following the path that Wallis had charted for them.

Felicie still found herself sitting on the rail of the stern, legs dangling over the edge, as she watched for pursuers that she knew weren't there.

"You know what they say about the watched pot, lady paladin." A kindly, elderly male voice turned her head as Damien approached. For the first time since Felicie had known him, Manon wasn't at his side.

"I don't think that particular idiom applies here, master." She replied simply, giving him a winning smile.

Damien chuckled, stopping at the rail. "When you look at something in eager, impatient anticipation of it occurring, that's called watching the kettle boil."

Felicie frowned. "I'm not eager."

"You hardly ever look away from the horizon. I would think that you would be gazing forward."

She couldn't think of a refute for that. But she knew what her future was. She was going to avenge Addie, protect her country, and be punished for her rogue actions by Lloegyr and Vasconia together. She was the one who had to fall for the greater good. That was her fate.

But her heart longed for her past, for the man she had left behind.

Deliberately turning away, she flung her legs over the rails and dropped back on deck. Damien watched her with a calm smile. Felicie blew out a long breath, fixing her wind blown hair as she stared at him with a dissecting gaze.

"Are you really a dance instructor?" She asked, getting more suspicious as the day went on.

She maintained that Nina wouldn't hire a teacher for Manon that couldn't be trusted. However, that didn't mean Nina wouldn't hire someone to teach her more than just dance.

The grin that Damien gave her was so innocent it was suspicious. "I do teach the princess dance."

"What style?"

That innocent grin only widened. "As many styles as I can."

Felicie hummed, a smirk growing. "We should dance sometime, Master Damien."

"I'd be honored, lady paladin. It will have to wait, however. Princess Manon wishes to speak with you. According to the navigator and Wallis, we will be arriving at the unnamed town soon. There must be plans made before landing."

"Right." Felicie nodded, grabbing her hair and pulling it back into a quick braid as she walked across the ship towards the office that they used for meetings. It was just down the short hall from the royal suite.

Manon was already inside when Damien followed Felicie into the room. Wallis wasn't there yet, but Felicie wasn't surprised. He spent most of his time with the crew. They might have been part of the royal Vasconian navy, but they were still sailors. He was far more comfortable with their slightly rowdier and more laid back attitudes than with the nobles.

Manon was laying out a map of the area that she had purchased in Lloegyr. It was far more accurate for towns this side of the border, but the town they were looking for was no longer on it. According to Wallis, it was a ghost town that had been reclaimed by the lawless. Even if it had a decent population now, they wouldn't want to be back on any map.