Where Loyalties Lie

Where Loyalties Lie

The Kyran Building was austere, with high, barred windows and a single guarded door. It wasn't quite a prison, but it was a high security detention facility where those who were under arrest were awaiting trial were sent so that they couldn't escape their sentencing if such a thing were a concern.

In preparation for coming to the depressing and plain building, Felicie and Cy were both dressed to the nines, glittering in jewel bright colors and expensive gems. Felicie was out of her sling, but her arm could do little more than hang by her side.

They walked up the long, empty pathway together, in step, grinning, hand in hand. The guard standing out front, expecting both of them, nodded as they approached. He quickly moved aside and opened the door without so much as a word.

"Remember our deal, Felicie." Cy said to her quietly as they entered the long, plain hall that was lined with sturdy, locked doors.

"I'll be good." She grinned. She fully planned on obeying the rules of being here. After all, she was getting what she wanted already. She now knew where he was and could come back on her own to interrogate him more thoroughly later.

The rooms here weren't quite cells, but they were still obviously meant to emulate them. The wooden doors weren't bars, but they had locks on the outside and, the few that were open revealing empty rooms, showed a simple set up of a bed, a desk, and a barred window. No one was expected to remain here long as they would either be convicted or released in just a few days.

The building was roughly 'T' shaped, with a single guard at the top of the 'T' able to monitor all three hallways without aid. Wallis' room was at the far end of the top bar of that 'T', a decent distance from the single guard station. This inner guard must also have been expecting them because he reached for the keys on his belt before saying anything.

"Are we interrogating him in his room?" Felicie asked as the guard brought them to the door, pulling out Wallis' key as he did so.

"No. There's a room for that." Cy didn't stop as the guard unlocked the door. The stoic man entered the room without them, calling out to Wallis to get to his feet. Cy beamed at her as though this were a pleasure outing. "This way, my lady."

Cy pulled her along, past Wallis' door, to a room that had a lockable door door, but there was a small window built into it so that those talking inside could be seen, and heard, by anyone who might be standing out in the hall.

Inside the room, there were three chairs. Two with cushions and arms, designed for comfort. The third was hard, made of wood, without even a back to lean onto. Cy helped Felicie down into the first of the comfortable seats before sitting beside her. Their hands didn't separate but remained remained tightly clasped as they waited for their man to come.

Once again, in this room lit only by a small wall sconce, they didn't bother to don their usual, innocent smiles. The shadows revealed their real personalities and they waited like predators for their prey to walk into their trap.

Wallis was still wearing his uniform, but it had been stripped of its ranks. His hair was unkempt and his face tight with anger and resignation as he was shown in. The guard had bound his wrists for their safety and he followed the traitor inside until he sat down.

"Thank you, my friend." Cy said to the guard, his voice calm and deep, unsaturated by the usual honey it held.

The guard nodded and left without a word. They couldn't see him through the window of the door, but they didn't hear his footsteps as he left so they knew he was still there.

Wallis looked between the two them, saying nothing as he took in their elaborate clothes, relaxed postures, and simple smiles.

"They send the laughingstock of the court and a foreign paladin to interrogate me?" He asked, sneering with real humor. "I must be more unimportant than I thought."