Convergence of Countries

Felicie stared up at Firmin, but she wasn't really looking at him. In her mind, instead, she saw Cy's face, grinning at her in the dim light of his speedship when he woke after their night together. She saw Addie, laughing as they played around through every year of their life. She saw Master Eneas, holding the Holy Record, as he swore her in as a paladin.

She faced death on her knees, but she was filled with pride and satisfaction. Her only regret was that she couldn't save everyone behind her.

And that she wouldn't be able to see Cy smile at her again.

"Firmin!" Emilien shouted, grabbing his hand.

Fury briefly twisted Firmin's features, but it was gone in an instant. He turned, brandishing his sword at Emilien instead.

Emilien backed away, pointing into the sky. "Look."

Firmin and Aloys both turned, staring past Felicie's head. Aloy's snarled but Firmin's face remained perfectly expressionless as he lowered his sword.

"That's not a Vasconian ship." Aloys growled, hands tightening into fists.

"No. It's a Lloegyrian one." Emilien calmly folded his arms, doing his best to keep his features as neutral as Firmin's. "We need to leave."

"Are you kidding me?!" Aloys whipped around on him. "You're just trying to stop their execution."

"If Lloegyr catches us here, it could very well be war from two fronts. We have to leave now. Am I wrong, Firmin?"

"You are not." The general's voice was unaffected as he stared down at Felicie. "However, we have enough time for this at least."

He raised his sword, briefly locking eyes with the soldiers that surrounded their captives. Responding to his look, they similarly lifted their weapons.

"What are you doing?!" Emilien demanded to know, looking around at them.

"We no longer have the time to do this honorably. However, it would be criminal to allow an unnatural to walk around after we had her at our disposal."

"Firmin, wait-"

The general struck downwards.

With a loud clang, a massive ballista bolt struck down his sword. It wasn't a hard hit, but it was just strong enough to knock him off course. His momentum carried him forward and his dented sword hit the ground, clanging against the stone with an ear grating noise.

The blow distracted the soldiers and they hesitated, frowning at their commanding officers.

Felicie brought her head down against Firmin's, her skull clacking against his in a way that left both of them reeling and dizzy. He fell back, grabbing his head as she blinked to steady herself, grateful she was already kneeling.

"We have to go!" Emilien announced, grabbing Firmin by the arm and pulling up on him. "Fall back! To the ship!"

"No!" Aloys cut him off, pulling out his own sword. "We finish her off now."

"The ship is almost on us! The Stargazer isn't designed for combat. That is a warship! If they catch us here, they'll destroy us in an instant. We're already in range. We have to go now!"

"Then stop delaying the unnatural's execution!"

As they argued, Felicie turned, looking to see the ship they were talking about.

The massive, armored vessel heading their way was obviously Lloegyrian in design. A flag was flying but she couldn't see what colors it was displaying.