Love and Duty

Love and Duty

Felicie lifted her voluminous skirts into her hands, moving them out of her way, as she raced down the stone path in front of the castle. A few nobles that were wondering around gave her looks as she passed but she ignored them, wholly focused on her task.

The message in her hand was crumpled against her skirt. It had just arrived this morning with the regular post. It wasn't an emergency, but the news had made her so excited that she had run out of her room towards the palace with all haste.

Cy was finally coming back.

It had only been a few days since they arrived, but she hadn't seen him since they had gone their separate ways at the Lloegyrian border. He had wanted to follow her inside Gwenael, to make sure that she arrived safely, but Watkin had absolutely refused to allow it. Worse, he had orders from Queen Eleonore that, until she said otherwise, Cy was to return to the capital.

It wasn't forever, Watkin had assured them both. There was simply proper protocol that needed to be followed, especially in situations such as these. Besides, Cy had needed to give Eleonore a report on everything that had transpired while Watkin dealt with the Gasconite prisoners that he had captured and that Nicolas and Colette had handed over to him.

Felicie wasn't worried about him being reassigned as the official ambassador, she just missed him with a fierce loneliness that surprised her. So, to see his message this morning that he was on his way, nearly made her cry with joy.

Before she could begin preparing for his arrival, however, she had to inform his majesty. Really, this message should have gone to the royal family first, but she wasn't surprised that Cy had directed it only to her. They were playing as besotted fools, after all.

"Felicie? Where's the fire?"

Her name being called out as she passed into the entrance hall pulled her up short. She stopped, turning to face Lord Odilon Yvain as he walked her way. There was a small stack of papers in the crook of his arm and he was smiling, undisturbed by her haste.

"I just have a message for his majesty." She told him, letting her skirts drop.

"Oh? Is it urgent?"

"Well, not particularly. I'm just excited. Cy is coming back."

"Cy? The ambassador."

"The very one. I must confess, Odi, I'm quite smitten with him." She didn't even have to fake the light pink flush that filled her cheeks to think of his grin.

Odilon grinned at her. "Well, then, that's something. Do you mind if I walk with you? I have something to discuss with Cyrille myself."

"Oh, sure." She couldn't exactly run as she had been doing, but she didn't mind the company. The excited energy just made it difficult to contain herself to a mere walk as Odilon fell in step with her, both of them heading to the king's office.

"I haven't been able to see you since you returned from Lloegyr. It was successful, I hope?"

"Yes, and no. I got more out of it than I expected but I didn't manage to accomplish all that I would have liked. Still, I can't complain. I honestly thought I wouldn't live through it."

Odilon chuckled at her, unaware of everything that has transpired. "Really, Felicie. It was a simple friendship and peace mission. I'm sure that it wasn't all that bad."

"Absolutely terrible, Odi." She threw her head back dramatically, grinning to herself. "Although, meeting Cy was definitely the highlight. I can't wait to see him again."

"Then, I'm happy for you."

"How about you? How are you doing without Elaine?"

Odilon, the most wealthy and powerful lord in Vasconia, was engaged to the most skilled, and most obstinate paladin, Elaine. Although, it was nothing that they could act on at the moment since Elaine was needed at the front lines. It severely limited how much time they could spend together. And, until winter returned and a lull was once again brought to the war effort, they likely wouldn't get to even begin planning their wedding. He was the most powerful lord, but she was invaluable in battle. Both of them were instrumental to the war and, unfortunately, their duties kept them apart for now.