A Spy's Duty

A Spy's Duty

The expression on the physician's face as he sat back, away from Felicie's bed, was one of tired resignation. The sight of it made her gut twist into terrified knots.

It hadn't even been on her mind in the moment, however, now, afterwards, she was able to properly worry about the wound on her arm. It still wasn't obeying her commands to move upwards, prompting the fear that she had lost her ability to lift it entirely.

What would she do if she lost the use of her arm? How could she complete her job if she was no longer capable of climbing?

The physician then gave her a weary smile.

"You're incredibly lucky, you know that." He reached for clean bandages as Felicie's head began spinning from the sheer relief of that simple sentence. "It missed your bone entirely and has only cut through the muscles here. It was a rather clean cut as well. You'll likely regain full use of the limb with enough time."

"Oh, thank the Lord." Felicie cried gratefully, sinking back into her bed.

The wound was an ugly one. The sword from the statue had ripped a hole clean through the limb that couldn't be stitched closed. The weight of the stone slamming into her body had also left her with a massive bruise all along her arm, the right side of her chest, and up into her neck. The area was swelling in a manner that was not only unattractive but was also part of the reason, besides the torn muscle, that she couldn't lift her arm.

The physician applied some foul smelling medicine to the wound before wrapping it tightly to hold it together. Since it went all the way through, he had said, he couldn't close it with needle and thread. It would simply have to heal by itself.

The result, however, would be a massive and ugly scar. Felicie was just so relieved to hear she would retain use of her arm that she didn't care if it wasn't pretty when it healed.

"There we are." The physician nodded in approval at the bandage before helping her pull her loose fitting robe back over the arm. "I'm going to leave you with some medicine. I want you to take it twice a day. Once in the morning and once at night, after your meals. Are you listening?"

"I'm listening." Felicie nodded, sitting back into the cushions with a fatigued smile. It was strange how much energy worrying could take. "Thank you."

"I'm glad to help. You saved our crown prince. The whole kingdom is in your debt."

"Well, I don't know about that." She chuckled uncomfortably at the sincere declaration.

The physician stood, picking up his bag. "No, it is true. Anyway, I'm going to go back to my office. If you need me, just have a servant fetch me, day or night. Now, I believe I've left your visitors waiting long enough. I'll tell them that you're okay to see them."

Felicie nodded, thanking him again as he left the room. The door leading into the common area she shared with Manon closed behind him and she heard his voice, muffled through the wood, as he explained her injury and that she would regain use of her arm with enough time to rest and heal the damage.

As he talked, Felicie ran her hand down the silk of her robe. The bandage created an obvious lump and she found herself wishing, not for the first time, that Addie was there. It was strangely more acute now though.

Letting out a breath, Felicie leaned her head back.

"You would be making jokes about this, wouldn't you?" She asked no one, fighting her tears. She could practically hear Addie laughing at her in the silence.

The door opened at that moment, making her lift her head. Her eyebrows rose in surprise as Queen Eleonore stepped inside. Of all the people to visit her first, she wasn't expecting the queen.