><> Chapter Seven <><

The entire house was bathed in the aroma of roses and every set of curtains had been thrown open so that sunlight too, poured in. The storm had well and truly passed and everything about our house was really quite heavenly.

Dad had spent the last couple of hours picking roses from our garden and arranging them in vases so they looked like little clusters of rubies dotted around the house. Dad was determined that everything would be perfect for Mum when she arrived, and this was the finishing touch.

The truth was, Mum had not wanted to move away from London. She was a big career girl and was born and bred in the city. She had been particularly concerned about moving somewhere this remote, but like me, when she saw the way Dad fell in love with Starfish she just couldn't deny him the joy.

Rosie stopped by just before we left at midday. She was as bright as a button and had brought us some jam from her aunty's business.

"A house warming present," she smiled as she handed over the basket to my Dad.

"How very kind of you Rosie!" he beamed. "I'm so delighted Crystal has made such a nice friend."

We giggled as Dad bustled off to the kitchen.

"So..." began Rosie. She was smiling from ear to ear.

"So..?" I said excitedly, I was intrigued as to what had made her quite so happy.

"I just bumped into Frank, you know Will's friend?"

"Oh God, yes. The one who found me in the sea that night."

"Yes," said Rosie brightly. "Anyway, he told me that very night, after we left, Will fell down a hole and broke his leg."

I gasped.

"And this is good news... why?" I squeaked.

"Because that's why he hasn't called! He crushed his phone. Everything. He's been in hospital all week, desperate to contact me."

I looked at her in disbelief. "Okay that's a plus, I guess."

"Obviously, like, poor Will and everything but I've been in hell all week."

I sighed, as I began to empathize. "I know the feeling."

Rosie's grin faded slightly. "Babe, Frank mentioned you. I don't mean to upset you or anything, but he said that when he found you..."

She stopped.

"When he found me what?" I asked, my heart racing.

Rosie looked down, "he said that you were swimming by yourself."

I laughed with outrage. What the Hell?

"But, it was dark, right?" Rosie offered. "I mean, he probably couldn't see."

"Yeah... probably," I agreed, trying to sound upbeat. But the truth was, I felt like someone had punched me in the stomach.

Dad came out of the kitchen.

"Right, shall we hit the sea?" he asked.

Rosie giggled. "Hit the sea Jack!" she sang.

"And don't you even consider coming back!" Dad warbled, pointing at Rosie in an embarrassing attempt to sing along.

"Come on Dad," I snapped ashamedly. "You've got all the words wrong, anyway."

Rosie collapsed in giggles as we made our way down to the ocean stairway, and I slapped Dad on the back, as he continued his muddled version of the song.

"Stop it Dad!"

"Bye guys!" called Rosie still laughing and waving from the top of the stairs as we made our way along the jetty to the boat.