><> Chapter Thirty-Four <><

"You're his - what did you just say?"

"Wife," said Nephys innocently. 

I stared at her dumbfounded, tears gathering in my eyes. How can this be? Llyr's married? 

"Oh. my goodness!" she cried, watching my reaction. "You didn't know!"

I sat there completely stunned, unable to respond.  Why is this Nephys okay with this? Maybe they are some kind of mer-swingers. Perhaps she wants a piece of me too, and that's why she's so touchy-feely.

I edged away from her.

"Look, it's not how it sounds," I heard her say.

Perhaps she's been groomed by the tribe to think this was all good and normal. 

"Oh Crystal, I can just see it! You're torturing yourself!" she was wailing.

I had to get away from her. I went to stand up,but she grabbed my arms with her little hands. I battled against her, but I could not move an inch.

Urgh, this little mermaid had the strength of an ox.

"Right, I see what Llyr means now, you do jump to conclusions," Nephys was saying.

What Llyr means- right, well, Llyr could go to hell as well! Who did he think he was going home and slagging me off to the wife? Thank god I never slept with him -

I struggled to stand again, but she was like a bloody vice. "Look, woman, take your hands off me," I snapped. 

She wouldn't let go.

"I think you need a little song to take the edge off this," she said contemplatively. 

A song? Am I two now? I struggled on, determined to get away from her.

Suddenly the most incredible sound filled the air. At first it startled me, just the volume of it, but after a few seconds it was the sheer beauty of the sound that overwhelmed me.

I looked at Nephys stunned and I realized that it was coming from her full red lips. It was like a thousand angels were singing in perfect harmony.

Is that really her? Could this tiny creature really be producing such a heart-breakingly beautiful noise?
And is it possible for a singing voice to split like that, into so many notes?  I swear I felt my spirit soar into the stars above. This is better than wine. Far better.

My body went limp and I flopped back onto the sand. Wow!

When she finished, I lay there glassy-eyed.

"Oh gosh, still crying?" she asked. She sat on her knees, and extended a hand to my cheek, as the tears overflowed.

"No, its not sadness, its just that I've never heard such a beautiful sound!" I bawled. "No wonder Llyr married you!"

Nephys sighed. "Oh yes, so about that..."

I sniffed, I was coming down from my high a little. "Oh, go on then," I said tearfully. May as well get it over with.

"Llyr and I are old, old, old friends. We used to scream together as babes. Swim to the beach and play 'humans'together as children," Nephys reminised, with a laugh.

I snorted. Oh, childhood sweethearts. Pah! Playing humans. Hrmph!

"Don't get all agitated again, just listen!" she urged, lying down on her side again and facing me. "Right, I come from a beautiful prosperous kingdom just south of Llyr's. Has he told you about that, at least?"

"The Jewelled Kingdom," I tremmered.

"Right, yes exactly Sweetness," said Nephys. "The Jewelled Kingdom is extremely important. Not only is it home to thousands of precious gemstones, but it is also a sacred city. Many flock there to be healed within its magical walls. There are many crystals there that possess tremendous healing powers. Ri is the leader of course, almost like a king, and Llyr is his only son. Anyway, I'm sure you know all of this..."

The truth was, I didn't, but I was listening still somewhat under the influence of her song.

"I come from the Evergreen Kingdom," Nephys continued.

I didn't really know where this was going but she should hurry up; my sedatory buzz was dwindling and I began to feel surges of annoyance.

"My kingdom is the nutrition capital. It's full of vegetation due to the minerals in the sand that it is built on. Most mers in the region get their food from our lands. All the buildings are covered in this luminous green moss, hence the name. It's absolutely stunning there by the way"

The song had worn off. This is BS. Irrelevant BS.

Nephys opened her mouth and omitted another minute of enchanting vocals.  I found myself on my back again staring up at the stars. Not fair!

"Basically Crystal, my point is that most mer leaders do not want to get on the wrong side of the Evergreens and risk losing their food supply," she said, rolling on her stomach and talking straight into my ear. "Similarly, we do not want to lose the support of the Jewelled Kingdom."

"Hmmm," I speculated, still gazing up above. It appeared we were talking politics. Perhaps this was travelling in some vague direction now.

"My father and Ri are best friends and they are both powerful mermen, leaders of their kingdoms," she said, flipping onto her side again. "They have always been close, fierce allies. Not only do they need each other but they love each other like brothers."