><> Chapter Forty-Eight <><

"That's how we're going to end up," grumbled Rosie, pointing at an advert on TV. Two old ladies were sat alone together on a bench, looking out to sea.

I had to laugh, it could well be us in sixty years time, especially with the setting.

"I hope I'm the one with the purple rinse," I said.

"No, that one is totally me!" cried Rosie. "Just look at my room."

Hmm. She was right, purple was definitely her thing if her bedroom was anything to go by.

Rosie and I were curled up under her purple duvet having a pity party. To the right of us was a bottle of wine and to the left was a huge box of chocolates.

Last night Will had broken the news to Rosie that he had booked his ticket to Australia. A one way ticket.

"I hate him!" Rosie declared with a mouth full of chocolate.

"I hate him too!" I cried downing my glass. "Why did he lead you on like this?"

"Because he's a selfish little man, that's why!" Rosie replied. "He probably wanted a little fling to keep him busy throughout the summer, and he probably thought he would get away with it easier with a young clueless school girl."

"Oh, come on Rose," I protested, "he was definitely really into you."

"Oh, he talked the talk, but the truth of the matter is, if he really liked me, then he wouldn't be going to Australia," she said righteously, "I mean, he just wouldn't be, would he?"

"Well, I think that he is just young and putting adventure before getting serious," I offered.

"He could have had it both," argued Rosie "he could have waited one tiny little year until I finished school and then we could have gone together. He didn't even ask."

She had me there.

"I don't get it," I said shaking my head, "I just don't understand how he could just leave you behind like this."

"I told you Crystal, its because he's a stupid selfish man," she reaffirmed.

"Well... so's Llyr," I said. I said this to reassure her, but instantly felt guilty.

"Eugh, they are both so stupid," Rosie ranted. "They just think with their..."

"Yep, absolutely," I cut in, pouring myself another glass and topping up Rosie's.

Hmm, have I let Llyr off the hook too easily? Maybe he just wanted a bit of fun this summer too, and now he was spoon-feeding me all this sentimental stuff to soften the blow.  Something in my heart told me this was not the case but perhaps I could pretend for Rosie.  Just for tonight. 

"Men!" I despaired.

"Bloody men!" agreed Rosie. "Still at least with your one, its relatively understandable. My one is buggering off voluntarily."

"Maybe we should watch a fun film," I suggested. "I think we may need cheering up."

"Okay, well as long as its not The Little Mermaid, or er, Australia," said Rosie.

"Yeah, or Splash," I chipped in.

"Or Crocodile Whats-his-face."

"Got it," I giggled, and got up to go to Rosie's computer.

"At least we have each other," said Rosie from the bed. She had been lying in the same position for hours. It was like she was ill or something. Literally love sick.

Despite all the trauma in the room, I felt a flutter of happiness. The one good thing about all this was that I actually got my friendback.

"Thank goodness we have each other," I agreed, "just like the two old ladies on the bench."