><>Chapter Ten<><

I woke up and groggily turned towards my clock. The glowing red letters informed me that it was five thirty in the morning. I sighed, and rested my head back down on the pillow. It was warm and comfortable in bed and my eyes still felt tired, like I could be lulled back into an inviting deep sleep. But for some reason, it just wasn't happening.

I was filled with an energy, and I had no idea why. It's probably just the total lack of a life, I thought sitting up and rubbing my eyes. I had done all the lounging about a girl could possibly do.

It was a bank holiday Monday, and it was the first time I had ever been up so early since moving to the sea. In fact, I had been sleeping very deeply this past month, so sedated was I by the sea air.

I sat up and looked out of my window and realized that there was a lot of activity in the sea at this hour.

Fishing boats dotted the water, which looked like mercury in the early morning light. They were all returning from their morning fish, ready to take their catches to the market.

I realized the necessity of the light house, as much as it annoyed me. In the darker winter months these boats could easily crash into Starfish on their way back to the mainland.

I was still bleary eyed but was loving this moment, it was all so new to me. I couldn't take my eyes of the boats. I had a sudden impulsive thought - I would go and watch the ships sail in outside.

I leaped out of bed, tiptoed carefully downstairs and quietly made myself a cup of coffee. Even Maurice was still asleep and I did not want him to hear me and bark, waking up Mum and Dad.

As I quietly poured the water into the china cup, I pondered at how unusual this was for me, venturing out into the solitary dawn like this. I just had this urge to get outside as quickly as possible.

I quietly stirred my coffee and unlocked the back door, stepping into the garden. I wore just my nightie - a light floaty garment with tiny straps. It was a light purple and cut off mid-thigh. It was a little over-revealing, but I couldn't imagine anybody would be up to see me at this hour. 

I felt the morning dew on my bare feet as I walked across the lawn to the Ocean Staircase, where I figured I'd perch.

The birds were singing in the trees and the morning sea air was crisp and fragrant. I placed a foot onto the top stony step, and descended a little, fixated by the yellow sunbeams dancing over the sea surface.

"Crystal."

My gaze lowered to the jetty, and my cup smashed on the steps below me.

He sat with his legs dangling in the water, his hair was tied back to reveal the whole of his handsome face. I gaped at him for a moment, not quite believing that this could be.

I walked down the stairs and towards Llyr speechless, imagining he would disappear any second. When I got closer he reached out slowly and placed a gentle hand around my tanned leg, pulling me down to sit besides him.

When I felt his touch, I knew that he was really here this time.

I sat down next to him. I was in a trance.

I looked at his beautiful face and then my eyes travelled over his body. He wore just shorts, and his top half was toned and tanned. Celtic-like patterns, and strange lettering were inked over his flesh in places. It was hot. Mysterious.

I looked back into his eyes. In the light I could see they were a wonderful deep green.

"Finally!" I heard myself say.

He laughed.

"Yes, finally!" he said calmly, leaning towards me.

He lifted a finger to my face and then ran it over my hair, following the blonde wavy strands all the way down to where it ended just below my shoulders - that area between shoulder and boob.

I felt this fluttering inside me. I didn't know why or how he was here but I didn't care at this point in time. I just wanted to enjoy the moment. It felt so precious, like it could all dissappear any second.

"I wanted to see you again," he said, never taking those eyes off me. "Properly."

"How did you find me?" I asked, even though I somehow didn't even care.

"I saw you," he murmured, "a couple of days ago..."

My mind flashed back to when he appeared in the sea between Starfish and the mainland. I wondered if he had followed us out to sea.

He put a hand on one of the straps on my shoulder and all my questions vanished with his touch. I looked down and then I remembered I was wearing my nightie.

I laughed giddily, slightly embarrassed.

"It's my nightie!" I explained.

I saw that confused look cross his eyes again.

"You know, like, I sleep in it..." Why was I having to explain this to him?

"It's very nice," he replied.

"Where are you from?" I asked.

He looked out to sea, as though that was an answer.

"Another Island or something?" I asked, trying to fill in the blanks.

"Something like that," he turned back and smiled at me. "I've got a boat today," he said, nodding to a small motor boat that was tied to our jetty. It had an orangey-brown base, and the interior was wooden. I could see two little planks slotted across the perimeter to sit on. "What are you doing?" he asked.

I thought of the endless empty day ahead on the isle with no school and no Rosie.

"Nothing," I replied honestly.

"Come with me?" he asked, an eyebrow raised, hinting at fun and adventure.

I couldn't think of a single thing I'd prefer more.

***

We glided effortlessly passed the fishing boats. I felt a rush of adrenaline.

I had to admit, part of me was a little scared heading out to sea like this on a teeny little boat, with absolutely no idea where we were going and without telling anybody where I was.

But excitement overrode all of that. I was high with the rush of being with Llyr again. I wasn't for a second afraid of the fact that he was still practically a stranger - I trusted him for some reason.

I pulled Mum's black sun hat down over my face when we passed the boats, praying that no one aboard would recognize me and tell Mum and Dad.