><> Chapter Twenty-Six <><

We spent the whole day exploring 'Crystal Bay'.  Lylr showed me little creeks in the cliff where there were all kinds of hidden secrets. 

In one cove we found a waterfall which cascaded over the mauve rocks and into a deep emerald green pool.  Llyr wanted to jump straight in and I was also strongly tempted, that was, until Llyr told me that sea fairies lived below the waters.

"They're like little weird mosquitoes!" I protested. 

"They're harmless!" he pleaded, already with one leg in. "They're probably asleep at this time anyway"

I sighed and reluctantly took off my dress; I was wearing a bikini today as I knew Llyr would want to get me into the water. It was an inevitability.

After quite a lot of encouragement I submerged myself fully in the pool, and once I was in I had to admit, it was pretty lush.  The water was cool, and it was refreshing after a day in the sun. 

Llyr pulled me into the center of the pool and we bobbed about for a while, enjoying the water.  A beam of sunshine broke through the rocks like a little spotlight and I swam into it.

I laughed, I don't know why, I think it was just happiness.  I looked up at my surroundings. The beam had cast a mini rainbow in the waterfall, adding to the magic of the cove.  

"I can't believe this place is called Crystal Bay!" I exclaimed excitedly.

"Well, it is now," he laughed.

"Huh?" I said confused.

"I named it after you," he said.

I was a little baffled. "You own this island, or something?" I asked jokingly, squinting in the sunbeam.

"Yes, we consider it mer-territory," he replied with absolute seriousness. "Well, this part of the island anyway."

"No way!" I cried. "How on earth do you stop humans coming here?"

"Well the rest of the island is not so beautiful, and it is very rocky which I believe makes it uninhabitable for your kind," he replied.

"Yes but this part is stunning," I argued, "even if only to visit."

"Well, the cliffs here are very treacherous," he said, looking up and around at the jutting purple rock.

"But can't they just sail in on a boat like we did?" I asked.

"I have had to work quite hard to keep it our secret place," he admitted, "but I have my ways."

"Well, I love it!" I declared. I couldn't believe he named the beach after me, this was surely the sweetest thing anyone had ever, or could ever do for me. 

I was also starting to wonder what kind of position Llyr had amongst the mers if he was in possession of land, and lived in the palace for that matter. 

After our swim, we walked back to the beach through the little winding creek.

"There is one other reason why I think this beach should be called Crystal Bay," he said, taking my hand and helping me climb down a rock.

"Yeah?" I said, wincing at the rocks on my bare feet.

He picked up a loose chunk of marble that had fallen down the cliff, and snapped it in half, as though it were a candy bar. Inside the marble gleamed a purple sparkly substance.

"Wooow!" I breathed. "Is it Amethyst?"

"Yes," he replied handing me the one of the broken slabs and discarding the other.  I was still struggling with the rocks beneath me, and so he scooped me up in his arms to carry me back to the beach. 

"It is a crystal that does not usually form in this part of the world. However there is an abundance on this isle, both in its cliffs and surrounding waters," he said.

"Wow," I said, holding it up closer to my gaze.

"It is a wonderful gem," he said. "It keeps you clear-headed. In fact, George told me that humans used to drink from amethyst in ancient times, as they believed that it stopped you from becoming intoxicated."

"Well," I said, "sounds kind of counter-productive, if you are drinking wine from it."

"Yes, I don't think I would like an amethyst cup myself..." said Llyr.

"You drink?" I asked bemusedly, trying to imagine him sitting in his underwater palace with a pint.

"Kind of," he said. "I know you do."

I frowned for a moment, not knowing what he was referring to. Then I remembered the night when we had first met, and how I had nearly drowned in my drunken hysteria.

"I don't drink that much," I replied. "Only social, sometimes."

"I think your friend could have done with an amethyst cup," he said, with a smile.

I laughed, remembering the state of Rosie that night. We had arrived back on the beach, and he placed me back on the sand. I turned and looked at him.

"Why were you at the beach that night?" I asked, suddenly curious. I had not given it much thought before.

"I saw the fire," he said. "I was returning from a journey way out in the Atlantic, and it caught my eye. Then suddenly all these people came running into the sea, and I was curious, I guess. I had never been to a human party before."

"Well, I'm glad you decided to swing by," I said, looking up at him.

He nodded. "I'm glad too."