><> Chapter Nine <><

Mine @2 :-)

I double checked the message again. I was restless, I wanted to see Rosie now. What is this big secret? What does it have to do with Llyr?

I would now have to wait until two o'clock to find out.

As I have mentioned before, I have a vivid imagination and it was rattling around in my skull like a hurricane right now. Is Llyr some kind of criminal on the run? Does he have to hide in the sea or something? Maybe he was a Starfish native and that was why only islanders knew of his hiding place... Where does he sleep? He must get really cold out there all the time... Surely he would drown at some point or catch pneumonia. What had he done anyway, and should I turn him in? Surely I couldn't let my insane crush on him get in the way of justice.

I did a Google search on my phone, typing in 'Most Wanted' and 'Coney Bay'.

A jokey news article came up about a kid who had released their goldfish into the sea and now wanted it back.

I screamed with frustration and threw my phone on the sofa, storming out into the back garden and down the ocean stairway.

It was a blazing hot June Sunday but I didn't care. I would search for answers. When I got to the jetty I marched to the end of it, and I stood there gazing out to sea.

I must have looked a little strange to the neighbours standing so determined on the edge of the jetty, fists clenched at my sides, my hair yellow in the sun. 

I was a woman on a mission, but with nowhere to mission to. 

My eyes scanned the sea, begging for something, but asides from a fishing boat and a couple of gulls, the surface was barren.

"Darling!"

It was Mum. She was making her way down the stairs.

I sighed. "Hi Mum"

"Are you alright, standing around in the boiling heat like this?" she shouted.

"Yeah, I'm fine Mum," I said distractedly.

She made her way down the jetty. She wore a big floppy black sun hat and a black fitted strappy dress.

"Are you off to a funeral mum?" I joked as she neared. It was surely not normal to wear such dark colours in the summer.

"I suppose I'm mourning London, Crystal," she said putting her arm around my shoulders.

God, she's so melodramatic. She's probably trying to give Dad a guilt trip.

"Its nice here," I said reassuringly, as we looked out to sea. "I missed London to start with, but I've not thought about it one bit in the past few weeks." 

I was still scouring the waters.

"That's great," she said watching my face carefully. "But you don't really seem yourself."

"Oh... well. I'm fine," I pretended.

My mum was silent, and I knew she was waiting for me to explain myself.

"Oh, it's just this guy."

"Oh, well, say no more," she said, looking relieved. "Now, my motherly advise is keep cool, kid."

I laughed, "Okay Mum."

"Let them do the chasing."

No danger of me chasing Llyr, I thought. I wasn't even totally sure if he existed.

"Crystal, you're absolutely beautiful, you could have any man you want, just remember that," said Mum. "Now, please let's not fry here a minute longer." 

She pulled my arm in the direction of the house. I took one last glance at the sea, and followed her.

"How's Dad?" I asked cautiously.

"Oh, he's coming around," she replied.

"Really?" I was surprised.

"Yes. I won."

"Wow," I said. Maybe I really should listen to my mum's man advice.

"Mmm-hmmm. I told your him I would give him insider info..."

This was all sounding extremely messy. I swiftly changed my mind about listening to my mum.

"Well, are you?" I asked.

"I'll chuck him a harmless scrap here and there," she signed. 

"Are you sure you want to work for SKANX?" I asked quietly, as we crossed the garden. "I mean, everyone here's against it."

"Maybe the people your father associates with," said Mum, with disdain. "I'm sure most people are grateful to have such a high-powered company in the region."

I screwed up my nose. I wasn't too sure, but I didn't want to argue with her as well.

Mum paused before opening the back door, raising an eyebrow over hersunglasses. "I'm sure your father will get bored of this whole eco-warriorthing anyway..."

****

I walked slowly across the Island. I now sported my mum's black sun hat, at her insistence.

It was half-past one, hence why I was pacing myself. I even sat on a bench for a little while to prolong my arrival.

I reached Rosie's at one fifty-five and was perplexed to see her father Oliver lugging a suitcase out of the front door.

"Hi there!" I said brightly.

Oliver looked up and I could see an expression of alarm in his face.

Rosie appeared behind him with a huge rucksack. She stopped dead in her tracks when she saw me, and then her sister suddenly appeared and crashed into her from behind. There was an unmistakable air of chaos.

"Crystal! Oh my God!" she shrieked. "I forgot to text you! I'm so sorry, we've got to go to a bloody family wedding!"

Oliver turned to her. "Language, Rosemarie!"

"Sorry Dad," Rosie ran over and hugged me. "We had the wrong date in the diary. Fortunately Auntie Carla called this morning. We have to travel to St Caroline's by four - it's a late ceremony, thank God!"

My heart sunk. St Caroline's was miles down the coast. It didn't look like I was going to find out the big secret for a good day or two.

"Oh Gosh, you'd better hurry," I said, trying not to let my disappointment show.

"We're all going tohave to get changed on the boat," said Rosie, giggling. "Dad, when are we back,again?"

"Monday evening," said Oliver, locking up the house. Then his face filled up with more panic. He looked at his wife Mandy, who was rummaging frantically through her handbag. "It's bank holiday, isn't it? No school? No work?"

Mandy looked up at him with exasperation. "Oh for Goodness sake's Oliver, I thought you knew these things."

"It's bank holiday," I chipped in. 

"Right, well I'm sorry to tear Rosemarie from you on the long weekend you but I'm sure you two can live without each other until then."

Rosie laughed and looked at me.

"We'll talk Monday," she whispered, hugging me again and racing down the garden path after her family.

I was left standing in the front garden by myself.

***

Mum, Dad and I took a Sea Taxi to Coney Bay. We were going for a family dinner on the mainland tonight at some posh seafood restaurant.

I had put in a little effort with my appearance, as it was a special occasion, and wore a short tight black velvet dress and black ballet pumps. My hair was plonked on top of my head, for the journey, so that it didn't wrap itself around my face.

My Mum wore a perfectly fitted leopard-print trouser suit. She had not attempted to dress down this rather loud outfit and donned chunky golden accessories and humongous wedge heels. She looked amazing but I couldn't help but I wonder what the locals would think of her attire.

Dad too, wore one of his best suits, although I noted that Mum repeatedly frowned at the bulging buttons around the tummy area.

We strolled along the sea front, watching the huge golden sun lower itself further and further behind the sea. It was glorious.

Passers by looked at Mum as she passed, I'm not sure they had seen anything like it in sleepy Coney and I had to swallow a giggle on a few occasions.

When we reached the restaurant I realized we were on the very same beach where the party had been. It was crazy to imagine a surfer's rave had taken over this pristine strip of cafes and restaurants, which was apparently known as 'Pearl Boulevard.'

Mother seemed impressed by Pearl Boulevard, and her mood lifted considerably. 

"This is promising," she stated, with a little brightness to her voice as we neared the restaurant.

Inside, waiters glided over pink marble floors carrying ginormous silver platters piled high with crabs, prawns and mussels. The walls were a pale coral shade, decorated by golden art-deco patterns. It was swanky, for sure.

We were invited to sit at the bar whilst we awaited our table and I excused myself, asking my parents if they would mind if I went for a quick walk along the beach.

"It's just so gorgeous outside," I told them, and they smiled and nodded.

Once on the sand I kicked off my pumps. The sun still peaked over the horizon and I walked in a mauve-coloured dusk towards the sea.

It had been one week exactly since the party.

I dipped my toe into a wave that crept up-shore and I instantly remembered his strong arms wrapped around my waist carrying me protectively to land. I remembered those mystical eyes watching my face, reading my thoughts, my feelings, as though they were taped to my forehead.

"Come back to me," I whispered to the sea.