><> Chapter Fifty-Three <><

"Well, well, well. I'm not even a fisherman and look what I'm bringing home with me today,"  Geake sang, as he looked down at Llyr. He let out another high-pitched laugh, clearly very elated by his discovery.

I didn't know what to do or say. My legs were still bound to the anchor, and Llyr could hardy get up and fight him either. We were both immobilized.

Geake reached into his trouser pocket and pulled out his phone. "I must get a snap of this..." he said, giggling with elation.

I looked at Llyr and took comfort in the fact that somehow he looked as calm as ever, despite the monstrous chain of events.

He was leaning on an elbow, staring back at Geake with a look boredom, not even dignifying him with a response. Geake hitched up his trousers and squatted down leveling his phone at Llyr. I reached out and clawed at the camera, but he laughed and moved it away from my reach.

"Say Cheese, Neptune," said Mr. Geake.

There was a large splash and the boat rocked. Geake lost his balance a little in the sway and had to put his hand on the floor to steady himself. I seized the moment, reaching out and snatching his phone, but suddenly a large, dark shadow appeared. I looked up just as a huge mass of a being flew through the air.

At first, all I saw was a mane of long, black hair and a mound of muscles. The mass landed on top of Mr. Geake, and I heard the cracking of bones. I cried out and looked away, as long whiny moans penetrated the air. 

When I looked again; I saw that Ri had mounted Geake with a fist to his face. I didn't know whether to be happy or worried. Ri looked livid, but I didn't think all his anger was channeled at Geake.

He looked at Llyr, with a face of thunder. "Who is this little man?" he said coldly, nodding at Geake.

"T'is the leader of the poison-bringers," said Llyr. He looked pale and stressed, and I knew he was going to get bollocked for the next century.

Suddenly there were more bodies on board, landing out of nowhere like flying fish. I recognized some faces. Nephys was here next to me, tending to Llyr and pulling his body away. I let him go, knowing he was in safe hands. The loathsome Spirit had also arrived and had taken over from Ri, pinning Geake's arms on the floor above his head.

Ri stomped towards me, and I looked down.  He looked mad as hell.

Should I say hello? No... I think silence might be the better option right now.

Ri's huge, bare feet came into view, as he stopped by my side. I felt relief ripple through my body as he snatched away the ropes in a matter of seconds, and then without a word he reached behind me and retrieved the anchor with one hand.

"Thanks," I said quietly, pulling the ropes away from my limbs, but he was gone.

I felt a wetness through my jeans and noticed that water was starting to appear in the cabin. The mer must have created a hole somewhere as they had pounded on board. 

Ri began to tie Geake to the anchor with a long rope that Spirit had retrieved from the deck. They were wrapping him up like a caterpillar into a cocoon. A feeling of dread washed over me as I realized that I might be about to watch an execution. I mean, there's no police out here, no law or court to stand in their way.

Yeah, just like there wasn't when he was going to murder you, Crystal.

I felt conflicted for a moment as Mr Geake's eyes caught mine.

"Crystal," he begged. "I was never going to hurt you, or him. I was just trying to get those little papers back."

I knew he was lying, but whoever he may be and whatever he had done, I felt wrong condoning his demise.

I suddenly felt like an emperor in a coliseum; the crowd waiting for the thumbs-up or thumbs-down, to determine whether or not a fallen gladiator should die.

I looked up at Ri, I didn't say a word, but I think my troubled expression communicated a plea for Geake's life.

Ri raised his eyebrows at me, as though I were the most pathetic thing that had ever lived. He picked up the anchor with Geake bound tightly to it, and carried it out onto the deck. It looked like Geake was going down, and it also seemed that Ri could not give a damn about whether I approved or not.

"Please, Sir," begged Geake. "Please."

"This is for all our children you have killed with your poison," Ri boomed, lifting the anchor overboard.