Chapter 21

not proofread! ignore any typo's or weird mistakes!

********************************************************************************************************************

You know that feeling when you’re in a really awkward situation and you’d do anything to get out of it? Yeah, I’d honestly like to get out of this situation right now. A nice holiday to Hawaii would be nice.

So, here I am standing on Joe’s front porch, bouncing nervously on the balls off my feet because Caitlin is standing in front of me, clearly as shocked as I am. I don’t think either of us expected to encounter tonight.

“What are you doing here?” she asks.

“I could ask you the same thing,” I respond, crossing my arms over my chest.

“I was hoping to speak to Joe, but since you’re here-“she makes a move to turn around and leave Joe’s house, but a voice that’s not mine, stops her.

“Caitlin, wait,” Joe’s voice rings out. “I think it’s all time we had a talk.”

“What are you doing?” I hiss at Joe, quietly, who has shown up at my side unannounced.

“I’m trying to make amends,” he responds. “I think this ignoring thing has gone on long enough.”

With that he leaves my side and walks further into the house. I turn back around to Caitlin, who is slowly making her way back up the front steps to Joe’s porch. I wait until she reached my side, before we walk into the house together.

Figuring Joe has gone to his room, seeing as he’s not sitting on the lounge, we make our way upstairs silently, not being noticed by Joe’s parents. I mean, wouldn’t that be more awkward that it already is? What would they think, seeing Caitlin walking up their own steps? I presume they know that what happened between Caitlin and Joe, so I think they would think it would be a little weird that Joe’s ex-girlfriend is in their house.

Anyway, as we reach the top of the stairs, we walk slowly to the end of the hallway where Joe’s bedroom is situated. I knock on his door three times, before entering. We find him sprawled out over his bed.

“Hey,” he greets, nodding his head at both of us.

I walk over to him, slapping his feet, telling him to move out of the way. He gives me a playful glare, before sitting upright, leaving a spot next to him. I gladly sit down, making myself comfortable.

We both glance at Caitlin who is standing awkwardly at the door.

“Come in,” Joe finally, announces. “Make yourself at home.”

She walks in, sitting on the floor in front of us. We sit in silence for a few moments. I almost feel like laughing at the situation. It’s so silent we could hear a pin drop.

“So,” Joe says, after what feels like half an hour of silence. “Any reason why you came to talk to me at seven-thirty at night?”

“Yeah,” she says quietly. “I came to talk about our break-up, but I can’t really do that because Savannah is here.”

“Oh no, go on ahead,” I say quickly. “Feel free to talk about anything. I promise I won’t interrupt.”

Caitlin gives me a sceptical look, before opening her mouth to speak. “I just want to say that I’m really sorry about our break-up Joe. I didn’t even give you any chance to explain,” she runs a hand through her short brown hair. “I should’ve let you speak, and then maybe we would’ve been in a different position now. Maybe we would still me dating,” she gives him a hopeful smile.