Chapter 2: First Love

I wake up to the sound of beeping and murmuring. The first thing I see is Sana unnie smiling at me and she tells everyone I've woke up. I must be in the hospital after I roam my eyes and sees only a white painted wall, also the stingy sensation on my wrist dues to the IV needle. My family and Chaeyoung's then come to me and ask how I'm doing.I ask for a glass of water which my mom hurriedly pours for me, while Sana-unnie holds my arms and supports me to sits properly.

I look beside me and there's the Bean, half covered by the curtain but I know it's him, still sleeping soundly on the other bed with bandages on. I gulp the warm water, keeping my dry throat moist. After the last drop falls into my mouth, I abruptly drop my head down and sigh. Not realizing, I'm on the verge of crying again. Chaengie wouldn't be hurt if I just not being stubborn. This is all my fault.

"Mom, what happened?" I ask my mom who's sitting on the side of the bed, holding my hand. She seems to notice the guiltiness radiating from me.

"Oh dear, we're so worried that you and Chae went missing. We searched in your school, playground, mall and lastly the park. We should have known that you were there"

"We looked for you for some time until Chaeyoungie appeared, pouring with sweat while carrying you on his back. He passed out with you before we help him. We take you, kids to the hospital for further check-up. Don't ever do that again Mina, you don't know how worried I am" Mom explains with a slightly mad tone.

"I'm sorry mom" That's all I could say. I try to remember what had happened, but I can't. I'm just grateful to Chaengie and promise myself to treat him later.

= = = = = = = = = =

|Flashbacks|

Chaeyoung caught Mina before her body completely met the ground. Panic, he tried to wake Mina by gently shook her arms. The thought of something bad happened to her start to monopoly his mind, did her internal organs or something had injured? That was hardly can be seen through normal vision. Or it might be a high fever? Mina was sweating a lot. He thought. Chaeyoung quickly placed the back of his palm against Mina's forehead, eyes widen when his hands automatically retracted. Impulsive act towards Mina's burning skin. It only added the concern he had for her as he tried to wake her up again, this time shaking her a bit rough. Mina didn't answer him. It was night and Mina need help. He hurriedly supported her to sit and put her on his back.

He pushed himself to stand up and carried her while calling for her name. Still, Mina didn't respond, and he became anxious and concerned until he cried. Sweat trickled down his temple accompanied by his tears. The air was heavy and thick, he could hear movement in the dry leaves, the wind whistling through the branches. He paid no attention to it, to whatever creature or predator out there watching its prey or to how the sounds of the wind howling threatening whisper seemingly inviting them to enter a cemetery. He didn't care any of those. His brain only registering one thing, to bring Mina to safety. He walked through the uneven path, sobbing as the penguin hadn't shown a single movement.

"Mina please wake up," He said between his ragged breath. He sniffed due to the fit of crying and the cold as the tip of his nose reddened. It was there, the ringing screams vibrating in his ears, and the thumping of his heart against his chest. He felt himself suffocating yet he mustn't stop running. His legs weakened as time passed, after all, he was smaller in size compared to Mina. Once in while, his legs would just lost it and he'd ended up kneeling on the rough surface. Ignoring the numbness, he would put Mina down and wiped his tears using his freed hands. He needed to see clearly without the glassy water, covering his eyesight. Then, he would carry Mina again, tightening his grip while he swayed down the path. It repeated until his knees were bleeding caused by the sharp gravel.