Chapter 24: New Home

The Myoui and The son arrive at the huge apartment with the sulking or more likely mad Mina trailing her mother. Begging, to persuade her father to change his decision. While, Chaeyoung hiding behind his father, afraid to show himself out of either shame or guilt or maybe both. He knows very well that he's the reason why everything happened. He hurt her, not just Mina but everyone around him, how the two families suddenly become awkward and drifting apart all because of him.

But, there's nothing he could do about it. He accepts the fact that things were already done. Blaming himself or hurting himself will not makes things any better. So, with that mindset, he'll learn and grow. Being a better person, a better friend, a good husband.

His thought interrupted when he feels a pair of eyes staring at him. He looks around until he locks eyes with Mina from across the living room, arms folded and a hellishly mean glare on her face. There's no softness in that gaze. It is a look that conveys a bubbling hatred. Disgust perhaps.

Chaeyoung nervously looks away while clearing his throat. He steps closer, this time clinging into Tzuyu's shirt since his father is currently talking with Mrs Myoui, probably apologizing.

Mina attempts in changing her parent's decision failed. Her mother doesn't even pay attention to whatever she's babbling about. Defeated, she only sighs and sits on the couch, pitying herself. She wants to massage her numb legs because of standing for too long but whenever she tries to bend down her back will hurt. And all the pain she feels caused by---- she glare at that certain someone. ----You!

Sana notices Mina who keeps frowning. Worried, she sits beside the girl asking if she needs anything or if she's tired. The younger only signalling that she wants to lay down. And with that, Sana brings her upstairs to the bedroom and carefully tuck her into bed. Mrs Myoui already nags Mr Son and her husband for being stupid enough buying a house with a bedroom on the second floor. Since Mina is pregnant it will be hard for her to climb the stairs but the two old man defending themselves with an excuse, saying that it's good for exercise. Both end up with a red face, after receiving a hard ear pull from Mrs Myoui.

Chaeyoung freely roams around the house when Mina no longer in sight. His father tells him that the house is near his college which makes it easier for him. And when he has classes, mostly in the morning, there will be maid assigned to take care of Mina for half of the day. He smiles seeing the furniture, colour pattern and how the house looks overall. Exactly his type.

Not until that smile vanish replaced with a disbelief look as he stands outside the last door he checks. Why is there up until the fourth door there's only a study room, an arcade room, a library and now a room filled with paint and canvas? Where am I supposed to sleep then? He thought. That question soon answered when his eyes caught a glimpse of the last door in the house, the room where Mina is sleeping peacefully.

*  *  *  *

Chaeyoung gives his full concentration on Mrs Myoui lectures-- from the doctor appointment to the medicines Mina needs and to the diet-- he jots things so he wouldn't forget and ask a question when he doesn't understand. It feels like a weight has been lifted off from his shoulder when Mrs Myoui assures him that she will visit frequently.

They have their lunch together and Mina is still upstairs, her sister with her so there's nothing to worried about. They gather in the living room for small talk, everyone seems into the conversation except Chaeyoung. For some reason, he feels left out or it might just him who doesn't dare to say anything but only nod or laugh awkwardly.

The sun is already dipping behind the horizon. It's that time, they decide to take a leave. As much as Chaeyoung feels unwanted and uncomfortable around his own family, he doesn't want them to leave. He tries his best to buy some time, so they can stay with him a bit longer but still, he knows he has to deal with Mina's temper. Alone.

The girl goes downstairs to bid her goodbyes. She doesn't care to even look at Chaeyoung who's now silently standing behind a big vase beside the main door.

Those once joyful, bright and full of voices atmosphere are gone leaving both of them in deadly silence. Not even crickets make a sound, not even a car is around or anyone but only that howling wind sounds. Chaeyoung is actually waiting for the girl to get inside the house then he will follow her, but Mina seems not moving a single muscle. It's not even reached a minute they are in that position, but it feels hours for Chaeyoung. He swallows his saliva unknowingly holding his breath.

He almost faint to lack air as his face turns into a tomato. He starts to breathe normally when he feels ticklish on his neck. Out of curiosity, he snaps his head to his left shoulder and catches a glimpse of a big bug crawling on his collarbone then in his shirt.

It's an automatic reflex when he starts to scream. And does the weird dance of hitting himself and rolling on the ground. He looks like a dance maniac for a moment. Mina feels like her heart going to jump out her body when she heard that high-pitched shriek. She turns around, shocked as she sees Chaeyoung tossing right and left on the dirty mud then jump up and down wearing troubled face.

Concerned, she walks closer and about to help him to calm himself since she doesn't know what happens until she heard what the younger said.

"G-get off me!! Yah!! I said. GET. OFF!! You bug!" He takes off his shirt and starts shaking it out, hoping the method can get rid of the bug. "Sooo shoo!" He sighs in relief when it flies away, catching his breath as he weakly sits on the ground. Not realizing just how idiot he looks like just now, and apparently right in front of Mina.

He looks up when he sees pink sandals, then meets those dull eyes gazing at him blankly. He springs up from his position and stands erect with his arms by his side. As usual, he only stares at his feet as he's afraid to make eye contact. "S-sorry" he mumbles, it takes him whole courage to finally forms a word.

Wordlessly, Mina walks away leaving him behind. He chases after her but keeps that visible distance between them. Before Mina starts to climb the stairs to goes upstairs, he stops her by standing in front of her.

"L-let me help you. I-I know it hurts" He stutters.

"You know?"

Chaeyoung faces the girl as the cold, and sharp tone she uses painfully him apart.

He has never seen her look that way, her eyes have a deadness, a stillness. The girl who laughed often, the one who is everyone's sweetheart have developed a hardness. It's as if Chaeyoung could read everything Mina blamed in for in one extends glare, and forgiveness isn't an option anymore.

"What I mean i---" Without warning, she just knee him in the groin. He stays rigid in his position, then slowly like a mannequin he falls on the floor with a big thud. Never he expects that Mina will suddenly attack him in an unexpected place. His face reddening like it will soon explode as he opens his mouth but nothing come out.

"You know nothing," Mina says as she turns her back on and walks off.

"B-b-but that really hurts" He murmurs under his breath while crawling to find something to grab on.

- to be continued-