2.02: sephine

"Wow, you're giving him the full experience aren't you," Ollie mutters as I pull on a pair of sweatpants to go with my messy bun and old faded Hermon sweatshirt.

I shoot him a glare as I slip into my shoes, "Maybe I would have tried harder if I was given a choice on if I wanted to go or not."

"Dude, the guy is a billionaire. Why would you not go?"

I shake my head as I grab my phone and wallet, "Money isn't everything. It's about the fact that he's my ex, and I have no idea why Hayes would even want to have dinner with me in the first place."

"Because you're hot." Ollie teases, and I pull small wisps down from the bun to frame my face.

There's a knock on the door of the dressing room, and I brace myself for what I hope is a terrible night because I don't know if I can let Hayes in again. Even if it's just for a night.

"Hey," Hayes greets, offering me a bouquet of roses.

I stare at the flowers completely not expecting them, "Uh, why do you have those?" I ask, wanting to hit my forehead against the wall once I hear how stupid I sound.

"Isn't it customary to get someone in a performance flowers?"

"Oh, I guess." It's weird taking the flowers, but it'd be rude to refuse them. "Thanks."

I hand them off to Ollie, who is happy to take them from me, and I guarantee that I'm not going to get them back.

"You ready?" Hayes asks, and I notice that he's significantly dressed down from the past two times I've seen him. Not quite to my level of lazy, but he looks like an average person in simple jeans and a t-shirt.

Of course, he still doesn't quite look like an average person because no normal person looks like Hayes does, but it's still a refreshing look. "Yeah, I'll see you later, Ollie."

"Ryan and I will be waiting to hear every detail so you might as well just record it for us, just not the funky stuff," He teases, looking at his phone.

"Tell Ryan I said hi," Hayes offers, and I'm shocked that he knows who Ryan is.

Ollie winks at me, "He'll probably want to get dinner again sometime soon, and hopefully, if tonight goes well, we can double date. It'll be a lot more bearable for Sephine, who usually third wheels after Ezra."

"Ollie!" I scold, sending a harsh glare his way at the mention of Ezra before ushering Hayes out of the room.

Hayes is too busy laughing while I'm just mortified, "I don't third wheel," I insist, leaving any mention of Ezra out.

"You don't owe me an explanation."

And then the awkwardness returns on the way to the car. It's a newer, sweeter version of the Audi he had in high school. I loved driving that car, but I highly doubt he'll let me drive this one.

"Holy shit," I breathe out, and I'm almost afraid to touch it. I have more money than I'll ever need, and so do my parents, but I probably don't have enough to spend whatever he spent on this car.

"I gave my driver the night off, so this is the car we're stuck with, sorry that it's a little bit of a show-off." He apologizes, opening the driver's side door and getting in.

I'm not complaining about riding in this car, so I don't know why he's apologizing.

"So, where are we going?" I ask, watching the bright city through the car windows, and Hayes turns the music down.

"It's a surprise."

"Great."

He chuckles lowly, "You sound extremely thrilled to be here."