2.27: sephine

"Hayes, if you want to get there on time, you need to stop," I say, trying to keep a straight face, but I'm failing miserably, and he knows it.

"I'm not doing anything," He mumbles against my neck, his crystal eyes staring at me in the mirror's reflection as I hook the back of the earring, securing it in place.

"You know exactly what you're doing." I retort, trying to act like his fingers trailing up and down my spine aren't sending jolts of electricity through me.

Hayes pouts, "Well then, I think you better hurry up getting ready because the sooner we get to the fundraiser, the quicker we can leave."

And the faster I can tell him about it.

It's been killing me to keep it from him, but I've enjoyed our little bubble the past few days. I have a plan to leave the fundraiser early to pick up a new coffee mug that says 'world's best dad' on it. I even got the store owner to let me pick it up after closing time by slipping her a little extra.

I slip away from him to reapply the pink lipstick I was wearing tonight in favor of a lighter makeup look thanks to the updo my caramel hair was in. "That's exactly what I was trying to do, but you're very impatient in case you didn't know Benson."

This time he smirks at me, "You know I just realized I can't call you Montgomery anymore."

"That's because my last name isn't Montgomery anymore."

"I don't think we thought this out all the way because how are we supposed to do our thing with the last names if we have the same last name," He reasons, and I chuckle, shaking my head.

"I think our new thing is having the same last name?"

Hayes smiles easily, "I think it is, but I think I'll stick to calling you Montgomery just for old times sakes. Which coat did you want me to grab for you?"

"The grey one, please. Did you find out when you can pick up your wedding band?" I ask, walking out of the bathroom and into the bedroom where Hayes is pulling the coat off the hanger.

"The jeweler said I could pick it up first thing Monday morning. How was your appointment today? Is your shoulder still healing up okay?"

The appointment wasn't for my shoulder; it was to make sure that everything was going okay with the pregnancy before I told him and everything is which is such a relief. "Yeah, they said that everything looks great."

He hands me the coat, and I slip into it, "Do they know when you'll be able to start physical therapy then?"

I hesitate in answering because as happy as I am about being pregnant, I still have yet to accept that it means I'll be out of dance even longer than I was initially supposed to be. "Uh, they're not sure."

Hayes frowns, "I'm sorry, Sephine, I know how much you hate not being able to dance."

I drop my phone in the pocket of my jacket with my wallet before threading our fingers together, "I do hate it, but I think I'm starting to learn that there's more important things than dancing."

"I think that's a mature way of looking at it. Are you ready to go?" He asks, smiling at me.

"Yeah, let's go."

*********

Hayes is talking to one of the board members while I speak to his wife, who won't stop talking about how terrible their kids are. It's not exactly my cup of tea, so I've been tuning her out, for the most part, thinking about how our kids will be absolutely nothing like theirs. I can't imagine saying the things she is about her kids.