Chapter 2

Chapter 2

The scene outside the protective walls of Hope was impressive the closer one drew to the small meadow by the Southern Forest. A tent city, a third the size of Hope, appeared in less than a day's time. The various workers and stand holders too poor to afford a wagon slept in the small tents with no more than a couple of feet between them. Across from the tents sat wagons of all sizes, belonging to the wealthy merchants. Lined along both sides of the wide alley were pavilions of various sizes and colors, creating a thoroughfare that lead prospective customers past the available wares on their way to the large pits that were dug out for the upcoming fights.

Items of every description could be found under the pavilions along both sides of Main Street, the name given to the thoroughfare. The size and diversity of the stalls put the market place in Hope to shame, which wasn't lost on one of those walking through the once open field.

Janessa wondered at the scene in silence, allowing her eyes to take in everything. She paused by one stand filled with some of the finest rings, goblets, and other metal objects whose craftsmanship was unparalleled. It was little surprise to her when a Dwarf stepped forward as she drew nearer. Dwarves were renowned for their metallurgy skill across the realm, but it was the first time she'd ever seen one. He was about six inches taller than her, but twice her size in bulk. She found it shocking that he didn't look fat or clumsy, but solid and sure of himself.

"What can I do for you, lass?" The Dwarf was just over a hundred years old and had noticed a minimal amount of gray hairs in his fiery red beard that morning. At seeing the Halfling, he was certain he'd find more.

Janessa used her warmest smile on the Dwarf. "Thank you, sir, but I'm just looking."

Now, in his hundred years on Pyrain, he'd seen many things most took for myths, but one thing he was certain of was he knew a thief when he saw one. So, it was then he decided to watch her at all cost. "As you wish, but I'm afraid I don't have much of anything that you could use or wear."

She understood his hidden meaning: "you're not welcome". Instead of being insulted by his remarks, her smile broadened and her voice sounded sincere. "Thank you, sir, your help is always appreciated." She was about to leave when she spotted a small dagger; a perfect compliment to the Halfling sword hanging on the wall in the room she shared with Viola. She picked it up, smiling as the sunlight shone off the blade, causing it to glow. "How much is this?"

Damn it, she spotted something! As soon as those words ran through his mind, his heart leapt into his throat at watching her pick up the white steel dagger. At the sound of her inquiry, he couldn't help but allow the bartering side of him to step forward. "Ah, you have good taste, lass. That's a white steel blade, one of the rarest metals you'll find. Twenty gold."

The price was high for a dagger, but Janessa couldn't shake how beautiful it was when struck by the sun. Mesmerized by its beauty, she swore the blade called to her, causing her to hesitate before responding. When her gaze turned to the Dwarf, her cunning instinct was no longer distracted. "Twenty gold? I could buy a sword fresh from the forge for that." She tried to look indignant. It sometimes worked. "I can't see it being more than five gold... if that."

The Dwarf smiled. He'd made the price that high hoping to scare her off, but she had some spunk. He loved a challenge. At her offer of five, it was his turn to look indignant. "That may be so, but I guarantee you won't get craftsmanship of this quality." Reaching out, he plucked it from her fingers, an act he was surprised proved so easy. "Humans and Elves can't come close to this — she's worth every bit." He paused as if he was lost in thought.

"Sixteen gold." Janessa offered, smiling. This was going to be a fun day.

*****

Viola watched the exchange with mild amusement. While she wasn't much of a trader, she did find it interesting to watch others as they attempted to outwit each other. It reminded her of her craft in a way. Throughout history, mages have opposed each other on the battlefield and the outcome of the battles hinged not only on the power the mages could wield, but on their ability to control it and think as they conjured the counter spells. Knowing her history, it came as a surprise to her that bartering held such little interest for her.