Chapter 4

The blood-stained blade of a short sword disappeared into the stomach of the lizard man. The creature's black blood gushed from the wound, a curse on the human responsible for striking him down was on its lips as it stumbled and fell. The crowd exploded in the loudest cheering the Halfling ever heard or imagined possible. Janessa looked around for Viola, but her friend left a few minutes earlier, quoting something like barbarism or some such thing. Mages never knew a good time even when they were a part of it. Secure in the knowledge her friend wasn't having any fun or getting into trouble, she turned her attention back to the human barbarian. Unless she miscalculated, he won them four hundred gold pieces. Janessa felt so thankful about their winnings that for the first time since she first saw the human she felt no desire. Such were the joys of winning.

Janessa stayed until the bodies of the ogre and lizard man were removed. She felt it wiser to remain and act as though she hadn't won anything instead of racing to the Pit Master to demand her winnings. It was far better not to draw attention to one self during moments like those. Only when she was sure no one remained to watch her did she leave the pit side area.

*****

Just when Viola had convinced herself to remain for the rest of the match, the lizard man leapt onto the ogre's back and bit down on the larger warrior's neck. The blood sprayed out from the severed jugular vein and into the face of a hapless spectator. That was the final straw. Viola told Janessa those fights were barbaric before she let herself be talked into going to one, and those events only served to steady her beliefs. She couldn't understand Janessa's pleas for her to stay for the remainder of the match. Frustrated, Viola stormed away, she needed some fresh air and to distance herself from the carnage as much as possible.

Viola was only gone for a few moments when she heard a tremendous cheer erupt from the Pits. "Sounds like another winner." She couldn't help feeling full of sarcasm, she wasn't even thinking about whether or not they won. Her thoughts were more along the lines of empathy for the people wasting their time there.

"That's not a look one as young as you should have, child." The voice was soft and kind.

Viola turned to the source of the voice in surprise. A smile replaced her shocked expression upon seeing the familiar face greeting her. "I'm sorry," she flushed at having been caught off guard, "but I didn't hear you approach, Master."

Mern waved his hand in annoyance, "Don't give me that master stuff until I begin teaching you. Until then, call me Mern; everyone else does."

Viola tried to remain composed, but she couldn't stop smiling. "My apologies, Mern. I'm Viola Cantril." She bowed to show her respect.

Mern returned her bow. "It's quite pleasant to finally be introduced. Far better than the alternative I think, eh?" He chuckled, feeling pleased the day had turned out so well for him. "I hope you don't mind my curiosity, but what are you doing out here at this hour? And where's your friend?"

Viola rolled her eyes. The action didn't go unnoticed by the old man. "She's at the fights, drooling over some barbarian."

Mern nodded. "Berek."

Viola paused for a second, "I'm sorry?"

Mern smiled like a grandfather would while teaching his favorite grandchild. "It has to be Berek. The ladies always swoon around him."

Viola understood what he meant, but the charm the barbarian held over others hadn't taken a firm enough grip on her. Upon seeing the young woman go stiff at his inclination, Mern said, "My apologies. I see I was incorrect. You have enough willpower not to succumb to those levels. My congratulations."

His final comment caught her off guard. "I'm sorry, but I haven't done anything to warrant congratulations."

Mern smiled at her. "Of course, you did. Self control and strong mindedness are essential to learning magic. My dear, you have just taken your first step to greatness."