Chapter 26

Berek and Janessa stepped out of the magical portal to find themselves standing in the hallway outside their shared room. As soon as her feet touched the wooden floor, Janessa leapt for the door and threw it open.

"Viola! Are you—?" Her question was cut off as the outer wall of the room exploded in flames. As the fire spread throughout the room, Berek grabbed Janessa under her arms with one hand and pulled her from the room before the fire engulfed everything around them. He focused on the first place that came to mind and spoke a series of words Janessa never heard before. The two of them disappeared as the ceiling collapsed on the spot they'd been standing.

The one thing Janessa enjoyed above all else was to be magiked, to feel the power of the spell engulf her and take her wherever it wished. Few things were as thrilling as being levitated, or to feel one's body pulled and stretched as it traveled through a portal. Viola understood the playful side of the Halfling and indulged her as much as possible. But Viola wasn't with her; she'd been killed by the fireball. Janessa was sure of it. Without her, anything magical lost all of its appeal.

A moment earlier, she was ready to throw herself into the inferno that consumed her best friend. Now, she felt cold earth beneath her feet as they appeared in the street outside the inn far enough back that no one would notice them, but not more than twenty feet from the inn. They could see the fire as it burned out a hole where the room had been. More importantly, Berek spotted the one responsible. The others may not have noticed, but he'd correct that even as Janessa struggled in his grip.

"Let... me... down!" Damn you, Berek! Let go!" He kept his grip firm, knowing what she planned to do.

With Janessa held tight to him, Berek grabbed the nearest of the city's guards holding a bow. "There!" He pointed at Fech's blurry silhouette through the smoke. "That monster did this! Destroy him!"

Under normal circumstances the guard would've dismissed Berek as drunk, but amidst the chaos he found himself staring at a large man-like shape with wings above them. "Dragon! Archers, fire!" Though the order was crisp and clear, few understood what he meant until they followed the path of his arrow as it sailed just wide of its mark. At the sound of the creature's furious yell, others grabbed their bows, but it was too late, their attacker had moved out of range.

Frustrated, but still having a duty to perform, messengers were dispatched to the guard stations along the wall as others, along with citizens, formed a bucket brigade and fought against the fire which had begun to burn itself out.

As everyone talked about the return of the dragons and the dark magic that came from them, Berek took Janessa into a side alley and set her down on a weather-beaten crate. He knelt beside her while trying to piece together what had happened.

"She never had a chance." Janessa began to sob, blaming herself. "I never should've left her. I could tell something was different today."

Berek decided to let her go. It'd be better for her to get out as much as possible. Something about that day was different, but what was it? The mood? The people? The weather? That was it, he realized. This was autumn, but so far, the day was unseasonably warm. It wasn't catastrophic, but did it mean something? No, he shook his head, he was becoming paranoid.

But people seemed to be acting different. Renard acted irrationally by allowing Fech to attack in such a manner and Mern was... Mern was what, exactly? Prophetic wasn't right, after all, Berek went alone and he was still alive. As antagonizing as that old man could be, he almost seemed excited. In the time he'd known Mern, he never saw him excited about anything. What was he up to?

"She wanted to be a war mage, did you know that? She always talked about it, but she thought she was too much of a bookworm. One time—"

"Janessa." He turned to face her, resting a hand over hers. "I don't think Viola is dead." Janessa raised her head, but he quieted her with a motion of his other hand. "I don't know how, but I just have a feeling."