Chapter 3

The most barbaric form of entertainment on Pyrain was also one of the most lucrative in the gambling world. As brutal as the fights themselves were, the area around the combatants was equally as dangerous. The pits were no more than ten feet across, seven feet deep, and lined with rocks along the top edge. The rocks were meant to build a solid edge along the top of the pit, but they were often used as weapons if a combatant lost their own. Above, people would line up as much as twenty deep to see the fights, often leading to those in the front being pushed in on top of the fighters. For some unfortunate ones, that often meant they were beaten and sometimes killed. People of all sorts attended the fights as the company moved across the land in search of fertile ground to build an audience.

As people from the city of Hope began to gather around the pit, pieces of gold, and sometimes more, changed hands. In many ways, it was a thief's paradise, one which the two friends entered, taking a pair of seats at one of the corners. From there they watched, and hoped, their fortune would be made.

The first fight went just as the old mage turned merchant had predicted. Although their winnings were small, everyone watching the fight saw their first dismemberment. The Minotaur were well known for their violent tempers. When one felt the rage building they often let out a horrific roar. It was a sound that caused even the most battle-hardened men to pause. Such had been the case with the Minotaur's opponent. The human warrior hesitated a breath too long, during which time his arms were ripped from his body. Lost in its rage, the Minotaur beat the dying man into a shapeless mound of flesh with his own arms.

The sight proved too much for Viola. She turned away, entertaining thoughts of leaving. Violence like that was beneath her. As a mage, she preferred the weapons of her craft to those of the beasts. She took several long, deep breaths before she decided to remain. If not for Janessa's constant assurances such an act rarely happened, Viola would've left and never looked back. Rationalizing her friend needed her there to help keep track of their winnings, she remained in her seat. An added incentive was a Halfling wouldn't stand a chance in that type of environment.

Pulling her robes tighter around her, Viola realized she had just lied to herself. It was something one learned to do in that day and age. Few could afford to be honest, even with themselves. With a new resolve, she settled down and continued to watch the next four fights, only one of which resulted in a death.

To help keep her mind occupied, Viola replayed the conversations the two friends had when they first came together earlier in the day. "They're so gruesome, how can you even think about taking part in it?" Viola had argued her case after the initial excitement drained from her and the realization of what waited for them settled into her head.

True to her nature, Janessa remained her normal bubbly, optimistic, and assured self throughout it all. "Don't be such a Ninny!" Her voice rose to a higher pitch when she was excited. "No one dies at these things."

"They don't?" Viola's question was a mixture of surprise and disbelief.

"Sure... Well, most don't. Only when two fighters hate each other enough that they both agree to fight to the death." Janessa's eyes lowered in sad thought before she continued with a shrug, "They have to settle their differences, I suppose. But that only happens between the lower fighters. The pit masters can't afford to have their best kill each other off; it's bad for business." Janessa crossed her arms, proud of herself for making such a well thought out argument. After a brief pause, she added as offhanded as possible, "Of course, there are accidents."

Viola's eyes narrowed at her friend. "All right, then tell me one thing." Janessa nodded with a satisfied look in her eyes. "Just how do you know all this?"