Chapter 18

Galin made his way through the tunnel behind the young women. The fact he hadn't seen them yet didn't strike him as strange, even though they should've been no more than a few feet ahead of him. He didn't notice because he was lost deep in thought. Galin's a strange Dwarf. He knew each of his kin viewed him as such for his decision. Any Dwarf would prefer to remain below ground if given the choice, even the Hill Dwarves never lost their desire after traveling from their ancestral home below the jagged mountain range covered with the Missing Wood.

The Missing Wood was given the name by humans living near them for the people that went missing in the forests surrounding the large mountain expanse on a regular basis. The superstitious humans never understood another, older race of people lived under the mountains. Those the Dwarves hadn't captured after mislabeling them as spies often died through some unfortunate accident. The mist hid the dangerous peaks and curves of the mountains the Dwarves called home.

The thick forest had taken its fair share of Dwarven victims as well. It was because of one of those instances that caused Galin to exile himself from his people and choose to live above ground. With that returning memory, Galin heard the familiar rumble of a landslide. The tunnel shook as a pair of screams cut through the air, chilling his blood.

"By the forge fire, no." Having never been religious, Galin muttered an oath to Crax, the Dwarven God and the forger and craftsman of the Gods.

Regardless of the danger, and the similar memory, Galin raced up the tunnel as fast as his short legs could carry him. His thoughts focused on the young human and Halfling. He could still hear one of them screaming. He knew what it meant even as he told himself it was only magic.

*****

They were walking side by side through the tunnel as Viola was certain she assessed the spell properly and they'd be fine. It was a feeling Janessa shared; their confidence that nothing could go wrong gave them the courage to continue. Both Viola and Berek agreed on what the spell would do, even though he wasn't a magician, Berek did seem wise in those things. It was at that moment the ground shook beneath their feet and the roof caved in on top of them.

For the longest time, Janessa saw only black, like sleeping without dreaming. Around her was nothing, an empty void without substance, direction, or sensation. She tried to move, but found her arms and legs refusing to respond, as if they were pinned by a great force. At first, she thought it was a most interesting feeling, having never experienced it before, but it was fleeting. Fear took hold of her and she tried to scream, but no sound came out, she couldn't move her mouth to make a sound. Terrified, Janessa began to cry, but no tears could fall from her eyes.

"Janessa!" She heard her name, Viola was calling her. She sounded as afraid as the Halfling felt.

"Janessa!" Again, she heard her name, and she tried to answer but no sound came out. Janessa felt a sudden, pulling sensation, like she was being stretched like rubber. The source was by her head, she could feel the force as it tried to draw her towards it, with a gentle but strong power.

Viola had been calling her, that much she knew. Despite its strength, Janessa couldn't let the unseen force win and pull her away from her one true friend. Stripped of everything, she struggled against the force with her lone weapon: her soul. Refusing to let go of Viola's voice, Janessa concentrated on its sound and Viola's image with all her essence.

With what took far greater strength than she believed she had, Janessa pulled back, away from the strange force until she felt its grip slipping. With each passing second, she felt the hold lessen until she was free. The force of her effort caused her to sit upright in such a fierce motion it tore a gasp from her.