2

I could feel a dull pain in my head, a headache was forming. I slowly opened my eyes which felt puffy due to all the crying I did. Looking up, I could see that I was now in my bedroom. Either my dad or brothers must have brought me in here while I was asleep.

Wait, what time is it ?

Looking at the clock on my wall I could see it was 9 in the morning. Was I sleeping an entire day ?!

Staring back at the ceiling I was suddenly flooded back with all that happened yesterday.

Oh god. Why does bad shit always happens to me.

I just wanted to pursue my studies and live my life. But no. I just had to get engaged with a cruel man instead.

Tears welled up in my eyes. But I kept them at bay, determined to not be a cry baby and face my problem.

Getting up from the bed I groaned from the pain forming from my headache. Just as I was about to go to the bathroom, I heard a knock on my bedroom door and and my brother came in.

"Hy!" Steve greeted me smiling.

I didn't bother to reply. Although I loved my brother with all of my heart, I just couldn't forgive him for what he did to me.

I just barged into my bathroom and shut the door. Looking at the mirror, my face was flushed, tear streaks marred my face and my eyes were rimmed red and puffy.

I washed my face thoroughly, brushed my teeth and took some calming breaths before getting out of the bathroom.

And as expected my ever stubborn brother was still in the room sitting on my bed. Stiff.

"Elle, I know you are upset. But, there is nothing any of us can do about It." Steve voiced out.

"Oh please!," I seeth at my brother "You can, the mighty men can.. It's just us. It's me and mama who doesn't have any say in our own lives." I finished still fuming.

"Elle!" Steve bit back. I could see he was trying to reign his temper. He took a calming breath and continued, "try to understand Elle.. "Dam- I mean, we have guests coming over tonight. I want you to be ready for it."

I didn't bother to reply, instead I went out of the room and made my way to the kitchen.

I could hear my brother grunting in frustration from my room. But I paid no heed.

Entering the kitchen, I was surprised to see all our maids working full fledged. Almost as if preparing for a feast. Oh, May be the guests Steve talking about where super important to dad. I thought.

I opened the fridge and grabbed the chicken sandwich along with a chocolate and coke and settled in front of the TV.

I heard my father's voice along with his PAs steadily approaching to where I was seated.

Papa's footsteps stopped a little behind me. And I pretended as of I wasn't aware if his presence and continued eating my sandwich.

"Elle."

"Hm"

"I want you to be ready and be on your best behaviour tonight," papa said in a calm tone "the Kings are coming for dinner"

"The Ki-kings?" I turned to look at dad shocked.

"Yes, Elle. Be ready at 7." He continued, still calm. "Damien will be here too."

That was all it took for me to snap.

"Pappa!" I yelled. "No way I am meeting that man!"

"You better behave Elle." Pappa shouted back angrily. "This isn't you! Shouting and yelling at your father and brothers. Keep your temper on check young lady."

And yes, he was right. I was shy, timid and never raised my voice at anyone. Especially my parents and brothers.

But from the moment I had the conversation with dad last day this is what my behaviour was like.

My father fixed me with an unforgiving stare and I diverted my eyes on to the floor not wanting to anger him anymore.

"I do not want this behaviour of yours again. Clear?" Papa asked, his voice clipped.

"Yes.." I whispered back.

Although too angry and feeling desperate I knew my dad must have had some strong reason behind his decisions. And I felt too guilty for my behaviour with him. This was not me.

I wanted my mama.

"Mamaa" I called for her, making my way upstairs to my parents' room. I didn't spot her in the kitchen today, hell I didn't even see her after what happened yesterday.

Knocking on the door, I waited for an answer.

Nothing.

I knew papa was in his study. So I slowly grasped the cool metal of the handle twisting it and opened the door.

On the bed laid a very tired and slumped figure of my mother.

I immediately went to her and moved the sheet from her face only to see it covered with tear streaks.

"Mama?" I softly called.

She didn't stir.

"Maa" I tried again, nudging her softly.

Her eyes fluttered open and looked at me.

"My baby.. I am so sorry" she started as soon as she saw me, her eyes filled with unshead tears.

My heart broke.

"Mama.. Why are you sorry?" I asked, feeling my eyes well with tears as well.

"I couldn't do anything about what your papa is making you do," she said, sobbing "I tried, I really did." She continued clutching my shoulders so tight.

"Its o-" I couldn't complete my sentence. As I just noticed something on her face. Her left cheek was red and swollen. Almost as if she was hit.

"What-what is that on your face?" I questioned, already dreading the answer.

"Its nothing." She replied her face suddenly blank.

I gulped. "Did papa..." I couldn't finish my sentence.

Mama didn't reply and I knew.. This wasn't him. Papa never raised his hands on mama or me.

At that moment, I knew we were in deep shit with the Kings.

If Papa went as far as laying his hands on mama just because she defended me, then my engagement with Damien King has more reasons behind it, which was obviously unknown to me.