Chapter 18: Opportunities

Yoongi was ushered to sit down in a chair so his hair could be fixed by one of the stylists who was working for the company. He liked this one a lot as she was always happy when he was sent to her station and very kind to the members. She was older, in her thirties, and made the environment comfortable as she worked, not always pestering them to speak. When she sensed that he needed to relax, she would leave him alone to his devices. She was never nosy and she wouldn't get too close to his personal space, even when it was her job to touch his hair and make every strand fall exactly how she wanted it to. He much preferred her to the one that Jimin always seemed to be paired with, the one who was a little too bubbly and talked about her infant son.

Yoongi looked around the room, using the mirror in front of him to check his surroundings behind him. It was bare, very bare, except for the clothes they would be using and the cords that ran across the floor that powered the tools the hairstylists used. The fluorescent lights were harsh and he wondered how the makeup-stylists managed to do their work and make it look so natural. He flicked his eyes back to his phone and opened Alex's blog without much thought, the pink bordered hitting his eyes immediately and reminding him of how much she loved his pink hair.

Yoongi bit his lip and looked up at the stylist through the mirror, giving her a smile. "Kim-ssi?" She continued to comb through his hair as she let her dark brown eyes connect with his. "I know this might sound a little odd, but I was wondering if you would dye my hair pink today?...Instead of the blond?"

"I haven't been given permission to change the colour," she told him simply as she walked forwards to the countertop and started taking things out to go through the necessary steps of dying it.

"Please?" He gave her another smile, trying his very best to charm her for Alex. He craved to see the post on her blog about his hair being pink; he wanted to hear about it in their chat. He wanted to imagine her smile. "We're filming a music video soon and I think it would work better than blonde."

"Aish, you're being so picky today," she sighed and put the developer down on the counter and then looked towards the door. "Okay, I'll go check with the manager. No promises."

"No promises," he repeated after her, a wider smile on his face. He sighed and relaxed a little when she walked away from him, bringing his phone back to his face while promptly ignoring the quirked brown Namjoon sent his way.

Alex was tagged in another challenge to post a selfie right after she had answered the questions Yoongi had sent her from the list, asking if she had ever considered plastic surgery. He didn't ask because he wanted to know if she had ever altered her face, but just because he thought her stance on it might be interesting. Her answer was more personal than he had expected.

I think at some point in their life, everyone has considered changing themselves...every time I wanted to turn to cosmetic surgery, it was because I was impatient to lose weight, lose the fat off my neck that makes me hate taking selfies. It was because I was insecure about the way people looked at me. I never let myself do more than just think about it though; there are too many risks, surgeons can fuck up your face for good. And there is something about the idea of working hard to get the same result that appeals to me. I want to be able to say I worked hard to get my body to be what I want it to be.

He wanted her to know that she was just fine the way she was, she didn't need to worry about the opinion from the outside but he knew that wouldn't do much of anything. She was going to worry about the outside; insecurities didn't go away just because one person said you shouldn't feel that way. It could take her a lifetime to start feeling okay with herself and no one could speed up that process but her. But still, he wanted to try and make her feel better, he just wasn't sure how.