Chapter 1

Cover by Fairy_Girl_06

Chapter 1
November 27

I sat in the editor's office, watching his expressionless face look at me with his eyes narrowed. I tried to fight the nervousness I felt at the pit of my stomach and had to say. "You called for me, sir."

Mr. Lateef, my editor, cleared his throat. He was a stoic burly looking man, with swarthy skin and pointed nose. Mildly taller than I was, his face hardened as usual, as his dark eyes linked with mine.  "Do you have any destination ideas for your travel spot for the December edition?"

My voice was instantly laced with confidence. "Yes, I was thinking of aligning our readers to a city that's architecturally profound. Like Rome, for example, would make an exciting story to write on."

Mr Lateef was a hard man to impress and at this moment he looked highly unimpressed. "This December edition is supposed to be a game changer for us. The competition is stiff and Caplan Magazine is countering us with their creative ideas. I need something creative and unexpected. Rome is a brilliant idea but it's not what we need now. You can use it for our February edition but now I need a compelling story. We are planning to take our company to an international brand this December and we can't do that if we do something ordinary. Every reporter here is on their toes and trying to do their best. You should too."

I nodded cautiously while he spoke. Then he paused, watched my expression and continued. "you've worked with us for over two years and you've never failed to impress. Don't disappoint me, Miss. Duke"

........................................................................................................................
.......................................................................................................................

Stella, a fellow journalist and a close ally of mine inquired. "How'd it go with Mr. Lateef?"

"Rome's not gonna happen this month. I have to think of something innovative enough that will please Mr Lateef and possibly the new global public."

Wunmi squealed. "I can't believe our magazine's going public. Our first public take would be in the US, then Hong Kong would be next, to please the Asian community, or so I heard."

I couldn't hide the disdain in my mouth. "So doesn't that mean more work for us now?"

Wunmi rolled her eyes. "Don't be such a pessimist, Abigail. The outcome of all these means we would possibly be having a double salary and I really need the money right now."

Stella frowned slightly. "Don't we all. I just hope things won't be hectic enough to miss spending time with my daughters this Christmas holiday. You know how things here can be."

Wunmi chipped in. Her voice began to have an obnoxious ring to it. "At least people like Abigail, are the ones enjoying more, being a travel reporter and all."

I didn't like the tone in her voice, especially when she made my job sound like a piece of cake, when in reality, I work twice as much as everyone else, since I was the only one that also worked as a lifestyle columnist even though my salary was the same as theirs. "If my job was as easy as that, I would have time to even think about requesting for offdays and wouldn't spend more working hours than everyone else "

Wunmi's cheeks flushed and an embarrased look graced her face. "I didn't mean it like that "

I ignored her comment and chose to place my gaze on Stella who wore an amused expression. "I just need a brand new brilliant idea that would sweep Mr. Lateef off his feet so I don't give him an excuse to fire me."

"If there is one thing I've learnt from being friends with you is that you are good at your job and you're way too brilliant for your own good. You'll think of something, you always do."

My gaze caught Wunmi giving me a small nod in agreement. I knew they were trying to help by giving me a confidence boost, but it was hard not to feel nervous. Not wanting to worry them, I gave a half smile, hoping for the best.