Chapter 39

Chapter 39 - 28 days in Ayo's World (part 2)

Ayo's POV

Dec 10
Abbie and I had decided to be friends. It wasn't something I wanted to be stuck with, but I wanted to respect things between us. So I chose this. The friend-zone.

Being the "good" friend that I was, I noticed Abbie was all alone during the "Traditional night" and I thought it seemed fair to keep her company. Thankfully she agreed to go outside and here we were, sitting on the grass outside the town hall and looking at the stars. A hobby of hers I didn't really understand.

I noticed how much she enjoyed it, but I needed to talk to her. To know her better. "I had no idea Sarayah was your sister"

"Well we celebrity siblings love being anonymous"

Despite her attempt to laugh it out, I could see her discomfort "I see. So how's it like having a celebrity for a sister?"

Abbie's look became distant "For starters, I never got to see her or know her as a person so I really have no idea how it's really like"

"That must be hard"

"Well I have a complicated family that made it hard"

I, for one, knew how it was to have a complicated family "Then uncomplicate your story for me"

She gave me a sour look "I'd rather not talk about that. I barely know you"

I couldn't help but to feel bad about her reply  "I thought we're friends"

"I don't know you. I don't even know your last name"

"It's Coker. I'm Ayokunle Coker"

She pursed her lips  "I still don't know you"

"Let's change that. What would you like to know? Anything" The second I said it, I immediately regretted it. Why was I afraid to open up? Shit, this was messed up.

"What do you do for a living?"

I hesitated for a split second. Did I want to tell her? Would her thought or image of me change from how she sees me, if I told her that I inherited millions from my wealthy late grandfather? I wanted her to see me as who I was and not the millionaire I had become, so I opted out from saying the full truth "I'm a school teacher in Goldyn Land School. I also teach at a nearby private school too"

"I had no idea"

I gave a shrug. I hated lying to her. It wasn't something I was comfortable with, but I just wasn't ready to let out the truth just yet "I teach music and I like teaching kids. I'm also in charge of the Christmas children carol. It's what I like to do" At least this was the truth.

We engaged in light discussion, talking about our terrible past relationships. I opened up a little about Mary, my ex fiance. It was a sore subject for me and the mere thought was unbearable. I hated that I had to resort to hiding the truth, because of my past experience. Of course, Abbie was nothing like Mary, but why was I still distrustful?

...........
...........
...........
Dec 25
After Abbie left Seyi's house for the Christmas dinner and dad's mini interrogation, Mom looked relieved with everything "I'm just happy you found someone. Abbie is really amazing"

I grinned slightly "Yeah. She really is"

Dad's voice sprung up "You know what else would be amazing? You, selling that school of yours and going into real estate. Your brother's now into real estate law, alongside his usual corporate law. He can help you deal with any legal issue that has to do with it"