Chapter 34

Chapter 34
December 26th

After getting informed about the startling revelation, I rushed back home and dialed Mipo's number as quickly as I could.

The call went through and her voice rang up "Hey bestie"

I didn't have the heart for any greeting so I went straight to it "Ayo and I may end up breaking up."

"Hold up, hold up. What the hell?  What did he do?"

I told her. Everything. Her upset voice made me calmer. I loved how much she cared "How could he hide that?  What's the big deal that he's rich?  A bunch of people are rich. There's something fishy about all this"

"I feel like an idiot that I didn't notice. He rode a really expensive car and I knew his house looked too good for a regular teacher's income. I ignored all that. For what?  Love?  How dumb did he think I was?"

"Don't be hard on yourself. Go over to his place and ask him. It's important you do so. Hear him out a bit"

"I know. I'm not stupid. He isn't back yet so I've reserved my anger till he comes"

"if you need me to come over and kick his ass. I'm all for it. I bet Mayowa would be thrilled to join in"

I chuckled softly. I wasn't in the mood for laughter but Mipo had a way of making me smile in toughtest times.  "As much as I'd like that. I need his face to still be intact"

"You really cared about him. Didn't you?" I didn't need to respond, It hurt to even admit it. "It still sucks that he did that. I thought he was the one. The perfect guy for you"

My voice became sardonic, even though my heart ached to say that "There's no such thing as 'the one'.  It's just something the world believes in to feel better about our love lives. Everyone knows it's clearly a form of self-deceit"

"Don't say that. I found 'the one' in Mayowa. You can too"

"you're the romantic, I'm a realist. I'll keep on sticking with that"

......................
.....................
.....................

The hardened look on my face must have startled Ayo when I went to his house that evening. He led me inside as I braced myself for the confrontation.

He began "Sorry I didn't reach out to you. I had a pretty shitty day with my dad being his usual self. I should have —"

..

I tossed his gift at the seat next to him "Here's your Christmas gift"

His eyebrows furrowed and pulled his lips in a tight line. I really wasn't in the mood for his excuses. I watched his expression carefully and asked "What did your dad do this time?"

"He wanted me to quit my job" I glared at him. He gave me a half truth. How many half-truths did he throw at me, through out the time we were together?

"And work where?"

"into real estates. Super crazy, isn't it? "

"Real estates? Where would you get the money for that?"

.

He looked uncomfortable, but it didn't stop him from giving another half-truth "I have alot of loose change here and there"

"You must have a lot of loose change to even afford going into real estates"

He cocked his head to the side tightly and my breath hitched. Even when I was upset at him, he had a way of affecting me. I frowned and shook off the feeling running through my body. His eyes narrowed. It was clear that I already knew the truth "How did you find out?"

"Does it matter? You lied to me. You know I have truth issues and you lied to me. Why would you hide that? "

"I was going to tell you sometimes ago,  but you told me not to bother"

"when the hell did that happen?"

"The time I asked you to move to Christmas town"

My eyes widened in realization. I remembered "I thought you wanted me to move in with you"

"You wanted to take things slow. I'd have to be crazy to add that"

"Despite my misunderstanding, you shouldn't have hidden that part out. It's not something to cast aside. When were you gonna tell me then?"

He looked dejected, but I wasn't going to let him pretend like he didn't trick me "Is me being rich that big a deal?"

"I don't care if you're rich. What I can't take is someone lying to me. If things were normal, if I were normal,  I wouldn't have minded. But people have broken my trust so many times, I've found it hard to do so. You know that and yet you still did that"

"It's the same thing here. I had to hide my wealth because I have trust issues too"

"Do you even trust me?"

Ayo parted his lips but nothing came out. That was all I needed to see to know his answer "I may have trust issues but I learnt to trust you wholeheartedly. I wish you could do the same. I can't be with someone who doesn't trust me with the truth. I need some space and I'd like you to give that to me"

Ayo clearly looked shocked by what I said. He held my hand and pulled me close "Please, don't do this"

I stared into his gorgeous eyes and struggled to fight back the tears from running down my cheeks. Ayo wiped a tear that managed to break free and cupped my chin. I was sure I loved him. I just wasn't sure I needed to be with someone who lied to me. I deserved so much more than that, after everything I've gone through "I have to go. I just need to wrap my head around this whole thing"

"Are we breaking up?"

Closing my eyes for a second, I looked away from his sad eyes and pulled away from him. I couldn't find the heart to answer him and instead, chose to walk away from his house and everything that tied me to him.

..............