Chapter 12

Chapter 12
Dec 10

.Ayo gave me an amused smile, as he turned his gaze to my direction "Why do you like this again?"

"Looking at the stars make me feel peaceful. My best friend and I do it all the time"

He only nodded and continued looking at the stars, as if trying to understand my love for it.

I grinned "You're trying too hard. Don't force it. Just enjoy the view"

He finally let out a sigh and cocked his head to the stars again.

I was already lost in my own world as I felt so much comfort staring at the beautiful stars twinkle. I had no idea why I loved it. Nobody could understand my love for star gazing but it always had a way of keeping me calm in difficult situation. Star gazing was like my anchor to humanity.

Ayo's voice brought me back to reality "I had no idea Sarayah was your sister"

"well, we celebrity siblings love our anonymousity"

"I see. So how's it like having a celebrity for a sister?"

"For starters, I never got to see her or know her as a person so I really have no idea how it's really like"

"That must be hard"

"Well I have a complicated family that made it hard"

"Then uncomplicate your story for me"

I gave him a sour look "I'd rather not talk about that. I barely know you"

Ayo looked exasperated "I thought we're friends"

"Maybe. But I still don't know you. I don't even know your last name"

"Its Coker. I'm Ayokunle Coker"

I pursed my lips, sinking the new information in "I still don't know you"

"Let's change that. What would you like to know? Anything"

"What do you do for a living?"

"I'm a school teacher in Goldyn Land School. I also teach at a nearby private school too and do private music tutoring after school"

I pressed my lips tightly "I had no idea"

He shrugged "I teach Music and I like teaching kids. I'm also in charge of the Children's Christmas Carol. It's what I like to do"

I decided to tease him "That's pretty interesting. You seem pretty interesting. Your work must make you too busy for relationships, right? "

A smirk etched across his face "it seems like you're fishing for information on my past love life and I really don't mind. I'm single now, obviously. Well, I used to be engaged. We broke it off six months ago. Or to be specific, she broke it off and swindled me with most of my money. It was really awful"

I gasped "that's horrible"

A shrug was all I got, but I could see the pain in his eyes. I guess 6 months wasn't enough to get over a heartbreak. The woman really did a number on him "I guess I trusted her too much"

"it's normal to trust your fiancé"

"I did alot of stupid things. I let her save all our wedding savings in her account. She left with everything and I found out that she was a renowned swindler. I don't even know her real name and she hasn't been caught yet"

"My love life isn't as awful as yours but it's almost as pathetic. My last boyfriend which was about two years ago, made me choose between him and my hectic job. He told me to give up my job so I can have time to raise a family with him, but I couldn't give up my job, just like that. I told him what I couldn't do and I ended up choosing my job unconsciously and lost him. I never seriously dated since then. I engaged in casual dating but nothing serious. I guess I'm too frightened of disappointments"

"He shouldn't have made you choose"

I admitted "I understand why he made me choose. I just wish he understood me too"

Ayo gave me a sympathetic look "I guess we're a match made in heartbreak heaven. I'm the naive optimist while you're the distrusting workaholic."

I laughed wryly "I guess we are"

I paused to look at him and impulsively scribbled my number on a paper I had in my bag "Here's my phone number. I think its time we head back before people start looking for us"

He looked at me, clearly puzzled by what I did but chose to nod, giving me a half smile "Yeah. I think we should"

...................................................................................................
..................................................................................................

Entering the town hall , I see spot Mom from afar, discussing with a few of her friends I recognized from a decade ago, with Sarayah and Nosa by her side.

Mom waved at me, directing me to come closer to her as I said my goodbyes to Ayo and moved nearer to my family.

One of mom's friend, who I recognized as Mrs. Okafor, whom mom used to call Alice, quipped "Oh Abigail darling. You look so lovely. Where have you been hiding all these years?"

I politely greeted all the adults and gave Mrs Okafor a polite smile "I've just been busy with work"

.
Another woman, who I identified as Mrs Bello spoke up "that's absurd. A woman shouldn't let her career take up her life"

My jaw ticked as I forced myself to give a polite smile. It was a necessity around here to be polite to elders,  no matter how difficult they seemed "You're right, ma"

Mom rolled her eyes "Quit torturing my daughter with your questions"

A woman I didn't recognize, had the guts to give an appalled look "It's the truth. Look at Sarayah. She's successful and still settled down with an equally successful husband"

Mr. Ekeh, an acquaintance of mom, chipped in "only a pity he got himself in trouble and got suspended". Except that, his voice lacked any remorse or sympathy and it made Nosa clench his fist tightly.

My eyes widened. Nosa was suspended? I had no idea. Was that why he didn't want to be seen in public? So he could avoid people's questions? I watched Nosa stiffen next to Sarayah, as she gave uncomfortable glances at mom's friends.

Mom's lips thinned in annoyance "I think it's time we left, since there's nothing left to do. Thanks for the chat. It was fun for a while"

We all left in silence, not bothering to say our goodbyes to mom's so-called friends.

...........................