Chapter 38

Chapter 38 - 28 days in Ayo's world (part 1)
Ayo's POV
Dec 2

"Thanks again for agreeing to babysit Rachel. I wish I wasn't so busy organizing the Christmas festival, instead of giving you this much stress"

I could hear the discomfort in Seyi's voice and quickly interjected "It's actually no big deal. Really. I like hanging out with my niece. It's too bad Rebecca's busy with pageant practice. It would have been much more fun having her around"

"And that's why I love you, lil bro. How's Rachel doing anyway? Hope she's not a pain in the ass"

."Nope. She's good. I'm at the market right now so she's just running around. I can totally see her do—"

I paused mid sentence when I saw Rachel running towards a tall woman.

"Hello? Hello? Why did you pause like that? Did something happen to Rach?"

"No no. It's nothing. I'll call you back. Give me a second" I moved closer to where Rachel was and saw the woman talking to her.

The woman's voice had a soft timbre to it "Little girl. Do you know how rude it is to disrespect elders?"

Rachel didn't answer and the woman pressed on "are you even listening to me?"

I knew it was time to speak up. I didn't even understand what happened "Is everything okay ma'am?"

The woman straightened up and blinked at me. She cleared her throat "it's nothing really. The girl can have it. I just wanted her to apologize'

The woman pointed at what was in Rachel's hand as she spoke  and when I saw that it was cheese crackers, I totally understood. This wasn't the first time Rachel took Cheese Crackers from a stranger's hand. I couldn't get her obsession with it but I knew that I had to scold her when we get home.

I took some steps forward and actually looked at the woman, in front of me. Despite the oversized glasses, tousled hair and the frumpy look, I could easily tell how much of a beautiful woman she was. She averted her gaze from mine for a split second and her oxbow shaped lips gave a small pout.

Realizing that I was staring at her face for far too long, I quickly gave a grin and tried the 'polite guy' trope "I'm sorry about my niece's behavior. She's not usually this rude. She just loves Cheese Crackers. I think she's addicted to it"

Rachel looked at me, then back at the woman "I'm sorry, ma"

The woman smiled softly. Why the hell did I like seeing her smile? "It's okay. I don't mind"

I actually wanted to try and strike up a conversation with the woman, but then Rachel patted my shoulders. I lowered myself and she whispered to my ears "I'm hungry. When is mommy coming?"

"You'd have to wait a little bit longer. When we get to my place, I'm going to cook something quick, but your mom isn't coming till evening. Okay?"

Rachel mumbled "okay, sir"

I raised my head back at the direction of the woman and realized she was gone. Dammit! I didn't even get her name, at least.
...
....

Dec 4

When Seyi left me at the stall to run some errands, I was surprised as hell to see her coming and was even more surprised to see her coming with the woman I met at the market two days ago.

Masking my surprise, I try to play it as cool as I can "You're the woman from the market. Right?"

When she said "I am she", her embarrassed look mimicked my amused expression. I didn't know why I found it funny. I just couldn't help having a grin on my face and Seyi spoke up, before any of us could.

"I'm glad you two are getting along. This is my little brother, Ayokunle".

I chuckled unconsciously when the woman's eyes widened the moment  Seyi called me her 'little brother', despite both of us being only three years apart " Little brother? Come on, I'm not five anymore"

Seyi smiled back at me "You'll always be my little brother"

I smirked at Seyi and turned my gaze back to the woman. I really needed to know her name "I never got the chance to personally introduce myself the other day. I'm Ayokunle, but my friends call me Ayo"

I stretched out my hand and she handshook me softly. Her hands were lean and long, but I didn't mind holding onto it  "Abigail Duke, but my friends call me Abbie"

Abigail Duke. Abbie. I liked it "Noted"

"Good" I had to be crazy to actually want to talk to her so bad. I haven't seemed this interested in any woman, especially since Mary, and this gorgeous tall woman easily got my attention.

Seyi cut into our discussion and informed me that Abbie was a photojournalist covering the christmas event. I had no idea why I was surprised and enthralled by her occupation. Maybe because it was the first time I would be meeting a photojournalist and it fascinated me instantly.

We made light conversation when Seyi went on her errand, taking Rachel with her and noticed Abbie staring at a painting. It was one of my favorites and Seyi beautifully painted the emotions in the picture to life.

When Abbie offered to buy it, I had no idea what made me say "How about you take this for free and I get your number?"

Realizing how awful it sounded, I only prayed that she wouldn't find it offensive and her small grin eased up my tension "You gotta try harder than that, pretty boy"

A burst of confidence rushed through me. She thought I was attractive. That had to be a plus or a bonus "You're a tough one, aren't you?"

Her playful wink made me grin "Maybe I am. But I'm still buying this painting. I'll pay Seyi whenever I see her, since she has disappeared again. I don't trust you not to give me back my money"

I had to agree with her. I was going to do that "I'll still see you around. You're not going to disappear that easy"

Abbie put the painting in her arm and gave me one last look "we'll see about that"

........
.......

I have no idea how it's like to write a POV (Point Of View) from a man's perspective. Especially writing about a man in love. It was harder than I expected it to be and took me a while to pen things down.
Nonetheless, I'm just excited to give you a glimpse through Ayo's lens right now.
Xoxo
Jasmine