Chapter Six

Betty Hopper

November 4th, 1984

After I went out with Billy on Friday night, I didn't see Dad again. He hadn't been home, leaving me free to be with Billy. We had spent Friday night and all Saturday together. It was Sunday evening now, and I was getting ready to go out with Billy again. We had planned to go to his house since no one but his sister would be home. Billy had a difficult relationship with his sister, she was actually his stepsister, but he refused to even call her that. I hadn't met her yet, Billy refused to talk about her, except last night when he was half asleep. I wanted to meet his sister, I highly doubted she was the monster he made her out to be. I sat in front of my vanity, curling my hair when the wall phone rang. I quickly sat down the curling iron and ran to the phone.

"Hello?" I answered, half hoping it was Billy, the other half hoping it was Dad.

"Hey, we can't stay at my place tonight." Billy's voice said through the phone.

"What happened?" I asked, disappointed.

"Max ran away and I have to go find her." He said, clearly annoyed.

"I'll come with you," I said, not wanting to have dress up for nothing.

"Thanks, Betty, but you don't have to." He started but I cut him off.

"I've made up my mind, I'm coming with you," I said and I heard him laugh.

"I'll pick you up in twenty minutes, I've got to make a stop first." He said.

"It's a date," I said and I hung up the phone. I ran back to my room and continued to get ready. When it was almost time to go meet Billy, I walked over to the phone and dialed the number to Dad's office. I waited as the line rang, but no one answered. I shook my head as I hung up the phone, of course, he wouldn't answer. I grabbed my key and I walked out the front door. I pedaled to the spot and hid my bike, just like every other time. I waited for a few minutes, then Billy's car pulled up and I got in on the passenger side.

"What took so long?" I asked as he started driving.

"I had to find out where Max was." He said without looking at me.

"Are you ok?" I asked and I could tell something had happened.

"I'm fine," He said, still not turning to look at me.

"Billy," I said. I noticed his cheek was tinted red and I put my hand on his cheek, causing him to wince. He quickly grabbed my wrist and held it tightly.

"Betty, don't." He said and he turned to look at me. His eyes were full of anger and hurt.

"I'm sorry," I said softly and I put my hands on my lap. He then took one of my hands in his and kept his eyes on the road.

"You have things you don't want me to know about you, just like I have things I don't want you to know about me." He said and I nodded. I then leaned over and kissed his cheek, he winced again, but instead of lashing out he smiled. We sped down the road in silence, holding hands. He drove down the dark roads and then turned into a long driveway.

"What are we doing at the Byers' house?" I asked and he didn't say anything. We pulled into the driveway and Billy stopped the car.

"Stay here." He said to me and he got out. I watched as he stood in front of his car. Suddenly, someone walked out of the house, it was Steve... I watched as Billy and Steve argued, it looked like they were going to fight. Billy then stepped forward towards Steve and I knew I had to do something. I quickly got out of the car and ran toward Billy. I stepped in front of Billy just before he went to hit Steve.