Chapter Twenty Two

A/N 

I'm gonna be brutally honest with you guys I have no idea where this story is going. I'm doing my best to come up with an original story that is different from the last few seasons of Stranger Things. If you have any ideas or something you would like incorporated from outside the show (or even from the show!) let me know and I'll try to write it in!

Ok storytime

Billy Hargrove

February 8, 1985

She had been out cold for a week now. Hop said she was stable and Jane would try to communicate with her almost every day. She said that she could still talk to Betty, they talked every day. Jane did her best to keep her calm, keep her fighting for her life. Betty was still too weak to wake up and we had no clue when she would be strong enough. 

"Hey," Jane said as she walked into the bedroom. I sat next to Betty's bed holding her hand, we had managed to turn our room into a makeshift hospital room. Betty laid peacefully on our bed with an IV drip and a heart monitor we took from the lab. 

"Hey," I nodded as Jane pulled up a seat next to me. 

"Is it time?" I asked her and she nodded. Jane came to visit Betty at the same time every day, that way Betty could have some consistency. 

"How much longer will we have to do this for?" I asked her.

"I don't know. I guess until she decides she's ready," Jane shrugged.

"When she's ready?" I asked confused and Jane nodded.

"She's stuck there until she feels it's safe to come out. Right now she knows she's safe there, she can heal," Jane said and I slowly nodded, pretending to understand. 

"Jane, could I see her?" I asked and Jane thought it over for a moment.

"I suppose we could try, I've never done it before," she said as she continued to think. After a moment she reached and grabbed Betty's free hand. She then reached for mine and I gave it to her. 

"I can't promise this will work..." she said quietly.

"It's alright Jane," I smiled and she smiled back. I could tell she was nervous, she was so young yet had been through so much. 

"Close your eyes and focus on Betty, push out any other thoughts except about talking to her," she said and I nodded. Jane closed her eyes and sat still. After a moment blood started to slowly drip from her nose. I closed my eyes and tried to clear my head. I focused my thoughts on Betty, all the nights we spent together where she would talk for hours. I would lay with her for hours and let her talk about anything and everything. I loved hearing her voice, seeing her smile. She was the only thing in this world that could make me drop my "tough guy" act and care. I had to see her again, I had to hear her voice, I had to bring her back.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I opened my eyes and found myself standing in darkness. I looked next to me and saw Jane standing there. We looked at each other and she smiled excitedly. 

"We did it!" She exclaimed and I laughed.

"Good work kid," I said and she beamed. 

"Follow me," she said proudly as she headed off into the abyss. I followed close behind her, amazed how she was able to find her way around. After walking for a while I began to see something in the distance. As we got closer I could make out a figure. Jane squealed excitedly and began to run to it. By the time I caught up Jane was hugging the figure, it was Betty. I froze, unable to believe my eyes. After a moment Betty looked up and her eyes met mine. 

"Billy?" she asked and I nodded. We both ran to each other but never met. I stopped running and froze when I didn't see Betty in front of me. I turned around and saw her some distance behind me just as confused. We slowly walked to each other and I reached for her hand.

"I can't believe it's you," Betty said as she reached for my hand. 

"I'm here now," I said reassuringly. She tried to place her hand in mine but fell through. 

"Jane, what's happening? Why can't I touch her?" I asked as we both turned to Jane.

"It must be because you aren't like us. You're not here like we are. We can see and hear you, but can't feel you," she said as she tried to grab my hand only for it to phase through. 

"How did you get here?" Betty asked, suddenly concerned.

"It's alright, Jane brought me," I reassured her, wishing I could hold her and make her feel safe. 

"I never thought I'd see you again," Betty said with tears starting to fall. I instantly moved my hand to her cheek to wipe her tears but my hand passed through. 

"Of course you would see me again, we're going to get you out of here," I smiled, fighting back my tears. 

"Billy... I'm scared to come back," she said quietly and my heart dropped. 

"Why are you scared? You'll be with me and Jane and Hop," I said and her expression changed at the mention of Hopper. 

"I know you don't like Hop, trust me I don't like him either, but we wouldn't have been able to find you without him. We couldn't have saved you without his help. I'm not telling you this so you'll forgive him or makeup, I'm trying to tell you that there's nothing to be scared of back home," I said and she nodded. 

"Parts of me have changed, I don't know what or how or why. I just feel like I've changed, what if I wake up and I'm completely different than I am right now?" She asked. 

"I'll still love you, and I'll stay by your side no matter what. The moment you wake up you can guarantee I'll be right next to you. I'm going to keep you safe Betty because I love you. I can't afford to lose you again," I said, my voice trailing off at the end. The truth was I didn't know how to keep Betty safe, I had lost her so many times already. But I had to try, I had to do my best to keep her safe and be there for her. The truth was I needed her much more than she needed me.

"You don't have to come back now, you can come home whenever you're ready. In the meantime, I'll stay by your side every day as I have been. I won't leave your side now or when you come home," I said and she smiled.

"I want to come home, Billy. I miss you," she said and I smiled. 

"I miss you too Betty. I can't wait for you to come home so I can hold you in my arms again," I said and a hint of blush began to show. 

"We should go home now," Jane said and I nodded.

"I'll see you when you get home," I said as I followed Jane.

"I love you," Betty said softly.

"I love you too," I replied. I turned back to follow Jane only to find myself back in the bedroom, holding Betty's hand again.