Chapter Nine

Betty Hopper

December 14th, 1984

“You ready?” Billy called to me from across the school parking lot.

“Ready!” I called back as I ran up to him. When I reached him he picked me up and spun me around in his arms before kissing me.

“I’m so ready to relax,” I said as he set me down and we got into his car.

“I’m just ready to be alone with you,” He said with a wink and I giggled.

“Oh, I can’t wait to not worry about anyone interrupting us. Just laying around, enjoying the peace.” I closed my eyes and leaned my head back as Billy started to drive.

“Who said we were going to be quiet?” He asked and I hit his arm.

“Don’t ruin my moment,” I snapped before returning to my relaxed position. Billy rolled his eyes at me before accelerating.

“Where are we heading?” I asked.

“A Motel 6, about an hours drive.” He said and I nodded.

“You didn’t tell anyone where we were going did you?” I asked and he stayed quiet.

“Did you?!?” I asked again and he gave me a nervous smile.

“Well… Steve was mouthing off and I had to say something…” He started but I cut him off.

“You told Steve?!?” I asked in disbelief.

“No, I’m just messing with you,” He said as he started laughing. I was so mad I couldn’t say anything.  

“Betty, I’m sorry. You have to admit it was funny though,” he said but I refused to answer.

“Betty, don’t be like that. Common, I’m really sorry.” He tried to apologize again but didn’t listen.

“Are you going to ignore me the whole way there?” He asked after several minutes of silence and I nodded. I didn’t speak to him for the rest of the drive, it wasn’t until we pulled up to get the motel that I said anything.

“Finally, I wasn’t sure how long I could keep quiet,” I said once the car had stopped.

“Honestly I’m surprised you lasted that long,” he laughed as we got out of the car.

“Rude,” I said as we grabbed our bags out of the trunk and walked into the motel. We walked up to the counter and the lady behind it looked up at us.

“We need a room,” Billy said as we approached the counter.

“Single or double?” She asked, giving both of us a look.

“Single,” I said, flashing her a smile. She rolled her eyes at me before handing Billy a room key.

“Room 23,” she gestured down a hallway and we nodded our thanks. Billy and I walked until we reached a fire with the numbers 23 on the front.

“Is this really happening?” I asked as we stood in front of the door, not opening it just yet. Billy took my hand in his.

“It’s happening alright.” He said with a smile as he used the key to unlock the door.

“What are the chances of your dad showing up?” He asked teasingly as we walked into the room.

“Million to one,” I replied.

“I like those odds,” he said as he kissed me before kicking the door shut behind us.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~