Chapter 76: Listen All You People

"How's the leg holding up, Owen?"

Runner Six rolls his eyes, while I suppress a smile. "It's fine, mate. Just like the last ten times you asked."

"Sorry. I just-oh, you know. This is your first non-supply mission since Amelia shot you, and I feel like that would kind of hurt worse than a regular bullet wound in the leg because of the... betrayal."

"Don't worry about us," Jody says. "It's really sweet, Sam, but Owen's been running for awhile now. It's Five I'd be worried about." She turns to me, her expression sincere. It doesn't make me feel better. "Are you sure you're okay... after what happened yesterday-"

"I'm fine. It was just a... incident. I'm still not completely over what happened to me... although what I did to others, what I did to you was worse-"

"I'm okay. It's not as bad as it looks. And the bruises are almost gone. Hardly can see it now."

I smile tightly, even though I know she's really wrong. I smile because I know she's trying to make me feel better. I smile because this will make her think I'm feeling better.

"Okay, this is an easy one," Sam says, quick to change the subject. "Just a quick run to pick up some wiring from Brunswick-"

"Brunswick?" I repeat.

"Yeah, to get Owen back into the swing of things-the more important missions, ya know?"

"Yeah, it's just... that's where Caleb..."

"I-I'm sorry, Five. I wasn't-"

"It's okay. Just a run to Brunswick, then?"

"Well, there's also a pharmacy you'll pass on the way there. Maxine was hoping you could check inside on your way back. Said there should be some-"

"Sam Yao? Sam Yao, are you reading me?" A new voice says through my headset, his voice tinged with static. "This is Bernard Prior, New Canton Permanent Advisory Council."

"Yeah, I read you, Bernard. What's happened?" He sucks in a deep breath, and the air becomes tense. "Oh, please tell me there isn't another gunman loose in New Canton, because one crazy gunman lost in your compound is unlucky, but two just looks a bit careless."

"There's no gunman, Mr. Yao. We're requesting assistance from Runner Five to rendezvous with Ilene Sosa at Beauchamps Lido."

"Why do you need me, exactly?" I question, bracing for the worst.

"Oh, good, you're already listening in, it'll save time." He sounds much happier than usual.

"We're actually close by, mate," Owen says. "We can all go. What's the problem?"

"We don't need anyone except Five," Bernard snaps, and I raise a brow, even though he can't see it. "And there is no problem, Runner... whoever you are. There's the complete opposite of a problem."

"Then why do you need my assistance?" There's a bit of sass in my voice, but it's gone the instant Bernard replies.

"Because we've captured Moonchild."

My heart stops in my chest. I suddenly forget how to breathe. I forget how to run.

So I trip.

"Are-are you joking right now?" Sam sputters as Jody helps me to my feet. "You seriously-you captured Moonchild?"

"Yes, which is why we need Runner Five to help us escort her back to New Canton."

"She isn't at New Canton?" Jody asks.

"No, she is with Ms. Sosa, and we would like Runner Five to help escort her to New Canton for questioning."

"Are you sure that's a good idea?" Owen asks, eyeing me a bit wearily. I look away, trying not to cringe. "I mean, what if Five has like, PTSD or something? I don't think seeing Moonchild would be very good for her-"