Chapter 89: Sacrifice

Please be sure to read the A/N at the end of this chapter!

"That's it. The self destruct sequence has started!"

My stomach twists in agonizing fear, but my feet don't stop moving. I don't stop moving.

"A place like this is going to take a while to go down," Jaime states. "I've got good news from where I am. Looks like the designers have placed the charges to take out the main support struts. That means this isn't good for Moonchild either. Even if she sends a signal, she'll never get to use it. There's no way she's gettin' out of there alive."

"And do we know what happens if she managed to send a signal but not use it?" Amelia asks.

"She'll still change everyone," Paula answers. "She still makes us all happy all the time, no matter what happens to anyone else."

"And everyone in the world will be susceptible to mind control," Janine says, her voice stone cold. "Any individual who is able to crack the code and replicate Moonchild's tone generation will have complete power."

"So let's not let that happen," Maxine says, and I nod.

"Any sign of Runner Three?" I ask.

"I think we have to presume it was he who told Moonchild where Runner Five was heading," Janine says, and I gasp.

"No! Simon wouldn't-"

"His reccee yesterday-rather reminiscent to his long runs to visit Pro. Van Ark."

"He wouldn't... not to me. He wouldn't sell us out to-to Moonchild!"

"We have to presume that, Runner Five."

"Five, I'm setting up your way back here," Maxine cuts in. "I'm guarding it with my life."

"And guarding your life with your life," Paula says sternly.

"We are all coming back. We're coming home. This is going to work."

"Runner Five, I have the sound linkup prepared for you," Amelia says. "There are speakers on the far edge of the roof. They must have been intended to play music for the rollercoaster. You'll need to connect my device there."

"And you'll have to be close to Moonchild when we broadcast. You've got one shot at this."

A nervous laugh leaves quivering lips. "No pressure, right?"

"Right," Sam says, and I hear a slight crack in his voice. "Um, now how is Moonchild going to broadcast the signal? I mean, shouldn't there be a giant satellite dish or something? Because I don't see anything."

"I don't know," I say, and my brows furrow together. I hadn't thought of that. "Maybe it's on another building? Whatever it is, we have to stop her from accessing it before the satellites align and she can transmit her signal to everyone."

"Run, Five," He says, breathlessly, fearfully. "You've got ten minutes before the world ends."

I nod, my face red from exertion, my mind reeling. "Uh, Amelia, how exactly am I supposed to get your device? You're in that control room and I'm up here."

"What? No, Five, the finishing touches were done wirelessly. The device is already in your bag. I've been working on it since we sent you and the doctor off. Really, how did you not realize you had such a thing?"

"There were other things in my possession that took most of my attention," I growl, ears burning in embarrassment. Still, it's nice to know I won't have to make any detours, especially since time is so valuable.

But even so, I can't help from letting my thoughts drift back to Simon. He wouldn't sell me out, would he? Why would he do such a thing when he's also at stake? What would he have to gain from this? He doesn't want to be happy. I don't even think he wants to be forgiven. And getting revenge on us doesn't seem like him. I mean, why would he have rescued me so many times?