Chapter 20 - The War

Xavier POV

Today is the day.

Today is the day me and my pack go to war.

The fight is happening on the land we are fighting for at 10:30am.

Me and my warriors are all lined up on our front line with doctors in the trees, a document holder that must overlook the fight and say what happened for the rest of the packs to know stood in the middle.

I hear a low threatening growl echo around the large field we are in that is surrounded by trees and soon the opposite side of the field lined with wolves of all shapes, sizes and colours, although the difference between their pack and ours is that we have some in human form with weapons but no guns as they would make the fight unfair and the Wolf King can remove the land from us if we win.

Me and the Alpha step forward in human form to meet a document holder, we sign our names and shake hands and then return to our sides to change into our wolves.

Everyone is in a tense silence, me and the Alpha rise onto our hind legs and howl.

Starting the war.

Both sides run at each other, and instantly growls, whimpers and howls can be heard as the bodies of our sides collide.

Me and the Alpha circle each other in the middle, who gets this land will be decided at sun set, it will either be settled with one Alpha left standing or who has the most pack members left standing if both Alphas have survived.

He charged at me the same time I charged at him, we met in the middle, a tangle of blood, fur, flesh and claws. I'm not sure what happened but I suddenly felt myself being pinned by the other Alpha, him snarling in my face, growling. I rolled us over so I am on top and snapping my jaws at his face and neck but being restrained by his giant paws on my chest.

His claws begin to dig into my flesh, making more blood spill and me whine in pain as I step back a bit and we circle each other again. I see him limping slightly on his left leg so I quickly move forward and clamp my long teeth into his left leg making him howl in pain, only to bite my ear and shake his head from side to side. Growling, I release his leg from my grip, roughly and he pulls on my ear. I feel blood drip down the side of my face as he moves away, half my ear in his teeth which he tosses aside, I get angry now.

First my mate left.

Then my pack was forced to go to war.

And now he has taken half of MY ear.

Growling I launched myself at him and snapped madly at his neck. He shakes his head from side to side so I can't get a grip, but I soon do and I clap my teeth down. He shakes his head desperately to free himself but only making it worse on himself as my teeth dig deeper into his neck, his breath coming out raspy and ragged, his blood filling my mouth making me want to gag but I hold my place.

I look at his eyes and see the life leaving them,

'Take care of my pack'

His voice whispered in my head as his head lolled back, his breathing and heart stopping, his life gone.

A long, loud whistle filled the air, everyone froze, that meant the fight was over meaning one thing, an Alpha has died and the fight is over and won. I move away from his body and then bow my head in respect and I see all the wolves around me do the same, everyone quiet in a mixture of shock, anger and sadness.

I lift my head and stand on my high legs and howl loudly, echoing through the forest and field around us.

I had won the war and now I had to accept the new pack members if they wanted to join.