LDCrichton

Author: LDCrichton

Books Well-Known For: What Makes You Beautiful and Amaranthine

How long have you been writing? Honestly, for as long as I can remember. I still have my "first" story from Kindergarten, written, illustrated and put together with pride and love by yours truly. It's laminated and held together with coils. I started seriously writing, as in aiming to make it my career, in 2006.

What do you love about writing? How it allows me to express myself. Hopes, fears, dreams—and hide it well in fictional places with fictional people. I think writing is better therapy than anything else.

What's your favourite genre to write and why? Young Adult Contemporary. I like it because it lends itself to an older, more adult voice with characters who are still young enough to experience a lot of firsts. Teenagers are constantly inventing and reinventing themselves all while navigating the often brutal waters of adulthood. Makes for great stories in my opinion.

Do you have any advice to offer aspiring authors? Don't let anyone tell you what your dreams get to be, or how big you should make them. Stop listening to that nagging little voice in your head that tells you "this is garbage" "this is bad" "give up" "why bother" Insecurity is like that guy that no one likes who keeps showing up at the party. Kick him to the curb.

Do you plan to have a future involved with writing? Well, that's the plan! I have a book coming out May 9, 2019 with Disney/Hyperion called ALL OUR BROKEN PIECES. You can check it out on goodreads or my website for more info!

What project are you currently working on? A story called Caged Birds Can't Fly. I can't say much about it right now, but there's the working title. Like All Our Broken Pieces, it's a young adult contemporary novel.

To conclude the questions today, can you tell us a fun fact about yourself? Umm... what's fun? I don't know if these count as 'fun' but here's a couple of facts: I'm short. 5 feet. Most kids older than 10 are taller than me. I'm OBSESSED with music and I work in GIS (geographic information systems) for a day job, so it could not be more opposite to being a writer!