Ch. 06

Hamza had just gotten home after buying dinner from Al-Ameer when he received the phone call. Ahmad told him Laila fainted. Immediately alert, Hamza ran back to his car and jumped in before Ahmad had the chance to tell him that everything was fine.

"But I need to see her," he argued, his hands gripping the steering wheel.

"I know, Hamza," Ahmad replied patiently. "But I called the doctor and he said it was a normal reaction. She was stressing her brain too much. He told us to bring her over only so he could prescribe her more medicine and remove the cast. We're already on the way back home."

"Then I'll meet you at your house!"

Ahmad sighed loudly into the phone. "No, Hamza. She needs her rest. I understand you two made arrangements for tomorrow?"

Hamza nodded then forgot Ahmad couldn't see him. "Yes."

"Then you'll see her then."

"But-"

"No buts. Eat then get some rest. Asalamu Alaikum." Ahmad responded in a firm tone and, before Hamza could reply, he hung up.

Hamza ran his hands through his hair, bunching his fists and groaning in frustration. He wasn't used to this- having to ask for permission to see his wife. Or just her not being there near him. It was driving him crazy.

Re-entering the house, Hamza put the food in the fridge, his appetite disappearing. Tabby meowed near his leg, purring as she rubbed her fat hairy body against him. She wanted affection and was used to being spoiled because of Laila. But Hamza wasn't in the mood; instead, he re-filled her food bowl and locked her in the room.

Finally relaxing on the couch, he pulled out his cell phone and called his boss.

"Mr. Daniels office, I'm not at the phone. Please leave a message and I'll get back to you."

After the beep, Hamza cleared his throat. "Hello Mr. Daniels, its Hamza Jabar. I couldn't go to work this past week because of a family emergency... I actually sent you an e-mail about it last Thursday. My wife got into an accident and there were some... side-effects we're still trying to resolve." Sighing, Hamza rubbed his temples. "I apologize for this set back, but can I take a few more days off? I will be able to be there bright and early this coming Wednesday." Pausing briefly, Hamza added, "It would mean the world to me. Thanks so much and please get back to me as soon as possible. Goodbye."

Hamza worked in a manufacturing company. He was an engineer. His boss, Colton Daniels, wasn't exactly the nicest man. Hamza never took days off from work in order not to give him a reason to fire him. He got a good income from this job, and Hamza was planning on sticking with it for a while. His dream was always to open his own business, but for now, this had to do.

He just wished his boss had enough heart to understand his difficult situation.

He had just set his phone down when it rang. Startled, Hamza quickly answered without checking the caller ID.

"Mr. Daniels?"

The first sound he heard was children screaming in the background. "Yes, Mr. Jabar? I called to inform you that you're fired. And I'm a grouchy old man."

Recognizing his voice, Hamza rolled his eyes. "Samir, man. What's up?"

"Emergency. Like, code red, emergency." Samir sounded breathless, as if he was pacing. "You see, Hamida found out she was pregnant-"

"Again? Wow. When will you guys ever stop?"

"-and she's been in a crazy mood ever since I got home. My sister was supposed to- HEY! Ali! Get down from there right now!" There was a loud crash before Samir returned to the phone. "Yeah, sorry about that. So, my stupid sister was supposed to- OMAR! I swear to GOD if you throw one more tomato at Syed I'm going to shove them down your throat!"