Ch. 13

"Can you tell me about yourself?" 

Dinner was hilarious as Laila attempted to teach Hamza how to use chopsticks. At one point, she laughed so hard, she started to choke on a shrimp. Luckily, Hamza was quick to hit her on the back and after that, decided on using a fork instead. For her safety. 

They were back on the couch now. Tabby hopped onto the cushion and promptly made her way to Laila's lap. He purred and closed his eyes as Laila ran a finger along his back, her nail disappearing into the sleepy cat. Hamza was turned towards her, his elbows propped on the armrest behind him. 

Laila wasn't sure if it was a weird question, but he didn't show any signs of discomfort as he started talking, beginning from his early childhood.

The hours flew by, but the couple didn't notice; they were lost in another world where no one and nothing else existed. It was as if a bubble grew around them, blocking out all other noise. She was transfixed by his stories, laughing when it became animated then quickly sobering when he got to the bad parts. On more than one occasion, she felt herself reach towards him in an attempt to hold his hand and comfort him. But she always stopped herself at the last second. She wasn't sure why; almost every cell in her body was ready to let him in, to fall for this angelic being, but something was missing.

Herself.

In a twisted way, it was as if she was stealing someone else's man. He was so clearly in love with her, but... was it her? Or was it someone else, someone she can't remember? How about if she never could... would she ever be able to live up to the amazing Laila everyone seemed so in love with? She was afraid of constantly living in that impossible shadow. And she hated feeling as if she was always on the edge of disappointing people, especially him. But the most terrifying thought of all...

Maybe this infatuation would fade once he realized she wasn't the person he married. 

"And that's when I- wait, what time is it?" Hamza abruptly stopped talking once he noticed the sun had disappeared. The dark living room was only illuminated by the porch light. Laila sat up, dazed, as if slowly awakening from a deep sleep.

"Wow. It's already dark out, that's crazy. It doesn't even feel like we've been talking for that long." Upon feeling her stir, Tabby woke up, stretching out his legs before hopping off the couch in search for food.

"Yeah. I could talk to you forever." Hamza grinned, before getting to his feet. "But alas, it's time to pray. Do you have wudhu?"

Laila nodded. "Can we pray together?"

"Sure. I'll go get the prayer rug," he said, walking towards the hall and disappearing into one of the rooms.

Laila stood up, in search of a light switch. When she found it, she flicked it on and the house lit up. She took it in again and felt a peace settle within her heart. This place was quickly starting to feel like home to her. 

Hamza came back with two purple prayer rugs and laid them out, facing the wall. She positioned herself behind him and let him lead her. When he started reciting the Holy verses, she felt her heart flutter in her chest. His voice was breathtaking. Emotional and strong, it easily flowed through the house. When they completed the prayer, she asked him to recite another chapter.

"Of course," he replied. "But on one condition."

"And what's that?"

He patted the empty space next to him from where he sat, his back against the wall. "Turn off the lights. And come sit next to me."

She felt warmth rise to her cheeks. Giddily, she switched off the lights then crawled beside him, leaving a few inches between their hips. But Hamza wasn't having any of it. He swiftly snuck his arm behind her, hooking it around her waist. In one swift movement, he slid her towards him until her shoulder bumped against him.

"There we go." He said happily. "Much better."

She couldn't keep the smile off her face. "You're too much." 

But, nonetheless, she leaned back and allowed her head to rest on his chest, listening to his heartbeat. He kept his arm around her, cupping her elbow, and started to recite from memory. His voice sent vibrations throughout her body. She all but melted into him at that moment. Closing her eyes, she tried to take a mental snapshot of the moment. Every little detail. The way he sounded, smelled... the way he made her feel. It was perfect. She never wanted it to end.

This was happiness. 

She was sure of it. 

- - - - - - - - - - - 

A/N: I know this chapter was really short, but the next one will make up for it, I promise. As usual, please vote! 

Thank you @itsHayat for always voting and commenting!