Ch. 15

"Where are we going?" Laila asked, shouting over the music that Deena and Zahra were obnoxiously blaring. This was their fourth time hanging out and Laila was expecting the usual café trip but the drive was taking unusually long.

"You didn't tell her?" She heard Deena try to whisper to Zahra, who nonchalantly waved her off.

To Laila, Zahra responded, "It's a surprise!"

It took another 20 minutes before Zahra finally pulled up into the driveway of a beautiful mansion. She parked the car abruptly before turning in her seat, facing Laila with an animated expression.

"Sooo," she playfully drew the word out, causing Deena to giggle. "This is my team's house. We all work together and like to hang out in the weekend."

Laila apprehensively looked out the window. The house was beautiful, befitting of a millionaire. The windows were high, almost completely swallowing the house. The exterior was dark oak, and the gate looking threatening yet sophisticated, drawing you in.

She wanted to see the inside.

"Is it like... a party?" She asked, hesitant. She grew up in a conservative household and was used to segregation. Deena and Zahra were too, from what she remembered. But now she wasn't so sure.

Zahra dismissively waved her hand. "No, not at all. Just a couple of friends. I can't wait for you to meet them! I've told them all about you." She slipped out of the car, slamming the door shut behind her. Deena was quick to follow.

Laila was the last to exit the vehicle, the discomfort clear on her face. Deena noticed and went to stand beside her, gripping her hand. "It's okay," she said brightly, with a smile. "They're really nice. You'll like them."

They walked up the gate and Zahra quickly put in a password. The door clicked open and the three girls barely walked through before the front door swung open, revealing a group of four people. Laila watched as they ran towards them, screaming at the top of their lungs. They were two girls and two boys; all seemed to be in their mid-20s. Zahra matched their excitement, quickly closing the distance between them, leaving her two friends behind. Deena was smiling and shouting out their names in greeting, but remained by Laila's side.

Laila was grateful for that. She watched Zahra jump into their arms, giving everyone a kiss on the cheek. One of the boys wrapped her in a big hug, lifting her off the ground and spinning her around. Her hijab fluttered in the wind, sliding back on her head until most of her hair was exposed, her blonde highlights glittering in the sunlight. She didn't make an effort to pull it back up.

By the time Deena and Laila caught up to them, the group had finished exchanging pleasantries. They started to greet Deena, but Laila noticed she held back more than Zahra, settling on handshakes all around. Finally, all attention was turned to her.

"This is Laila, guys." Zahra beamed, like a proud mother.

"Hi, I'm Ashleigh." A tall blonde girl stepped forward, her hand outstretched. Laila gingerly shook it, a polite smile on her face. The second girl, Farrah, was even prettier than Ashleigh. She flashed a quick smile, her bright pink hair both fascinating and distracting. They were breathtakingly gorgeous. 

The man who hugged Zahra was next. He approached Laila enthusiastically, going straight for a hug. Instinctively, Laila took a step back. She could feel Zahra glaring at her.

The boy frowned, confused, and tried to reach for her again.

"Sorry, I can't touch you," Laila held her palms up, taking another step back, ensuring distance between them. It felt awkward, but had to be done. He chuckled knowingly at her, shrugging off the awkwardness.

"Okay, that's fine. I'm James." He ran a hand through his blonde mane. The other boy was staring at Laila intently throughout the entire exchange. When she turned to him, he held up a hand, maintaining his distance. He waved and gave her a friendly smile. "And I'm Luke. Welcome to our humble abode."

----

A/N: Please don't forget to support this story with a vote! And share your feelings in the comments section, I love reading them :) 

@KafayatTaye Thank you for all the votes! ❤