Ch. 07

Laila couldn't remember the last time she had been so nervous. Standing in front of the mirror, she internally debated on whether she should dab on some makeup or not. After much contemplation, she decided a bit of eyeliner wouldn't hurt and after she finished applying it, she stepped back to glance at herself in the mirror.

Okay, some lipstick would go a long way too.

She wore a white abayah that had blue beads around the sleeve-caps and wrapped a matching blue scarf around her head. She didn't wear heels outside unless it was to a party, but the occasion felt special enough to warrant an exception. She chose the white pumps hidden in the back of her closet. 

Laila continued scrutinizing her reflection whilst nibbling on her lower lip until she heard the doorbell ring.

Her heart skipped a beat and she immediately began to panic. "Oh my god, what do I do? He's here!" She ran in circles, twisting her hands together. "Where's my purse? I should've put on some foundation! This hijab makes my face look-"

"Laila! Hamza's at the door, sweetie!" Her mom called out from behind her door, knocking loudly. "Come on, don't keep him waiting."

Laila froze. You can do this! You were married to him for years! He's definitely already seen you at your worst... With that somewhat reassuring thought in her head, Laila grabbed her purse and all but flew down the stairs.

When she reached the living room, she saw her parents sitting with Hamza. Her breath hitched unsteadily upon seeing the young man. He was handsome; there was no doubt about it. She had the sudden urge to run her hands through the soft brown waves that casually curled around his face, but she restrained herself.

Imagine how awkward that would be...

Blushing profusely, Laila stood shyly at the entrance until Hamza noticed her presence and looked up.

The smile that appeared on his face was simply breathtaking. Adoration shone in his eyes that never left her face. For that, she was grateful.

Either this abayah had gotten tighter or I put on a few pounds...

Feeling awkward with her parents there, she cleared her throat, looking away from his eyes and instead focusing on his nose. Even his nose is perfect... she thought dazedly. "Umm... Are you ready?"

A frown of confusion took place of his smile. "Yes, I am... You're going like that?"

I knew it! I should've gone with the black hijab! Laila mentally rebuked herself, not noticing the way her father nudged Hamza's arm, but neither did Hamza.

"What do you mean?" Laila asked.

"I mean did you put your niqab in your bag or..." his voice trailed off uncertainly.

Her eyes widened in surprise at the new revelation. "Niqab?" She asked, bewildered. Of course, she loved the idea of the face veil, but never imagined that she would wear it. Not so soon, at least.

In response, Hamza nodded, the friendly smile slowly returning to his face. "But it's okay, you don't remember of course."

For some reason, Laila felt a pang in her chest. She felt as if in some way, she was letting him down.

She just hoped that the rest of the evening would be better.

After bidding her parents farewell, Laila joined Hamza who was already in the car. She didn't wear the niqab because it didn't feel right just yet... She wanted to wear it properly from the start, and not just because she had to since she apparently was wearing it in some past life she couldn't recall.