Ch. 20

"Are you okay?"

Laila gasped, dropping the towel upon hearing Luke's voice. He was standing at the doorway of the bedroom, a concerned expression on his face.

Laila cursed under her breath. Why was he everywhere? She wanted to leave the room but didn't want to get too close to him. He was blocking the only exit. "Yeah, I'm fine."

"Where's Deena?" He took a step in the room, stumbling, slightly off-balance.

"She's not feeling well, apparently." Laila nervously sat on the bed, picking up the towel and continuing to dry her face. "You haven't heard from her?"

"Nope. Can I ask you a question?"

Laila watched him warily as he plopped on the other end of the Queen-sized bed. She promptly stood up. "Yes?"

His eyes followed her. "Why do you act so weird around me?"

"I don't. I just don't get too close or comfortable with guys, for religious reasons." She suddenly wished she had her abayah safely veiling her. She felt too exposed, standing in front of this strange man who was openly ogling her, staring at every curve of her body.

"I like that." He looked back up to meet her gaze. "It's different. Zahra isn't like that."

Laila decided that was enough. She started to make her way to the door, but he quickly stood and blocked her. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to make you uncomfortable." he said, positioning himself in front of her. "I just want to talk, that's all."

Laila frowned, her heart starting to race. Why wasn't he letting her through? She glanced behind her at the window and could see everyone was still gathered outside. Knowing the mansion was empty other than them two made her feel extremely uneasy. "Okay, let's go outside and talk."

Luke chuckled. "You'll just run away from me again. And I've had one too many drinks to chase you."

"Luke-"

"I don't know what it is about you." He murmured, his gaze turning intense. "I haven't stopped thinking about you since we first met. There's definitely something here." He looked down to her lips. "You must feel it too."

"No." Laila shook her head firmly. "No. I don't feel anything towards you. I'm married."

"Sure, you are. You're here drinking with a bunch of models, and your husband's home." Luke rolled his eyes sarcastically. "Where's your ring?"

"I forgot it in my room. I have to go," She was about to shoulder past him when he grabbed her arm.

Her scream died in her throat as he roughly shoved her towards the bed, kicking the door shut behind him. Laila jumped to her feet only to have him right in front of her again, gripping both her arms.

"Why're you so afraid of me?" He whispered, effortlessly holding her down.

Laila tried to find her voice, but she was hyperventilating. Her mind was still cloudy, slightly intoxicated. She tried to scream, but her throat was closing up. She knew no one would hear her. They were all too far away. Luke knew it too.

He pushed her down on the bed and leaned over her, his hand wrapping around her neck. She looked up at him, sheer terror in her eyes. "Please," she croaked out between gasps of air. Everything was happening so fast. Her brain could barely comprehend the sudden turn of events. He bent down until they were nose-to-nose and flashed her a smile.

"You can't even scream." His warm breath fanned over her face. It reeked of alcohol. He was drunk. Really drunk. His eyes focused on her lips. "How did you know red was my favorite color?"