Ch. 17

"So, what do you have planned this weekend?" Hamza dipped a French fry into the puddle of mustard, then lifted it up to her. Laila opened her mouth, biting into the oily goodness as she contemplated her answer. She was going to hang out with Zahra and her friends, again, but only because they needed her help shooting some pictures. At least, that was how she justified it in her head.

"I'm trying out this job a friend recommended." She swallowed, just as he lifted another mustard-coated fry. "But other than that, I don't have anything else planned. Why?"

"I have to travel next week for work and thought we could have a little adventure before that." He winked playfully. "We could drive to Cocoa Beach. Spend the day there. Then go to a fancy restaurant in Disney Springs"

"Yes! That sounds awesome!" Laila enthusiastically clapped her hands. Hamza looked at her for a moment, his head tilted thoughtfully. She self-consciously touched her face. "What? Do I have something on me?"

He stood up, pushing his chair back. "Stay just like that. Don't move. I'll be right back."

Laila opened her mouth to question him, but he was already jogging away from the outdoor restaurant towards the parking lot. She watched him go to the car and patiently waited, plopping a few more French fries into her mouth. He was back almost instantly, returning to his seat with a grin.

"What did you get?" Laila suspiciously squinted at him.

Instead of replying, he lifted his hand and snapped a picture. The camera let out an obnoxiously loud sound effect, causing the people from the next table to peer over curiously. Laila blushed profusely down at the table.

"Hamza! Why did you do that?"

"You looked too beautiful to resist." He looked down at the screen. "The sunlight was hitting you just right."

"But everyone's looking now." Laila mumbled under her breath.

Hamza looked around, as if only realizing there were other people around. He looked back to Laila, shrugging. "Who cares? They stare anyway."

He had a point. Since they entered the restaurant, they had everyone's attention. Orlando didn't have that big of a Muslim community. "True." She sat up straight. "Okay, take another one. I'll be ready this time."

Hamza's face broke out into a smile. "I'm ready. Give me your best one." He brought up the camera, squinting into the viewfinder.

Laila picked up a French fry, using it as a prop as she modeled, freezing in dramatic poses. Hamza shouted out encouraging comments as she switched poses and props, using everything on the table, and soon they both doubled over in laughter. An older couple smiled, catching the positive vibe they were emitting. And by the time they left the restaurant, they befriended several customers and their waiter.

"You're really fun to be around." Laila stated as they walked towards the parking lot.

"I know," Hamza jokingly responded, grabbing her hand and intertwining their fingers. She smiled at that, swinging their arms together with every step. When they reached the car, Hamza made sure to open the door for her, holding it as she slid in. Then he made his way over to the driver's seat.

"Hey, so I got a call from the Masjid," Hamza remarked as he started driving back to her house. "They were wondering if you ever wanted to get back to work with them."

"Oh, right. I didn't know they were waiting for me." Laila pondered aloud. "I'm not sure I want to go back just yet. I think I'll explore my options for a bit first."

There was a brief silence. "What's the other job you're interested in?"

"Photography. So where's this business trip taking you?" Laila swiftly changed the subject.

If Hamza wasn't so busy trying to change the subject himself, he would have noticed how weird Laila was acting. But the truth was, he was struggling himself. It turned out that Mr. Daniels had indeed fired him and was furious enough to spread word that Hamza was an incompetent worker. Hamza wasn't sure if that was the reason that none of the interviews he went to bothered to call him back. He was running out of money, and options, so after a lengthy phone call with his parents, they convinced him to try coming back home. Chicago was thriving with different business opportunities and since nothing was holding him to Orlando at the moment, it was good timing. Laila never spoke about moving back in and he was still walking on ice around her, not wanting to make the wrong move. He was sure if he did land a job in Chicago, she would be understanding enough to agree moving there with him.

He hoped.

"Chicago," he opted for the truth. No matter what happened, he always wanted to be as honest as possible with Laila. "I haven't visited my parents in a while, so it would be killing two birds with one stone."

"Awesome. Hey, random question. Do your parents like me?" Laila probed.

"Of course," Hamza chuckled at the absurdity of the question. "They adore you. They're just pretty old, so traveling is difficult for them."

They arrived at Laila's house. Hamza parked on the side of the driveway and turned in his seat to face Laila. "Who wouldn't like you, is the real question."

Laila giggled, lightly punching his shoulder. "Shut up. Okay so, why haven't you invited me on your trip?"

Hamza was speechless for a moment, his jaw dropping in disbelief. She actually wanted to go with him? "You want to go with me?" He voiced his thoughts, the shock evident in his voice.

It was Laila's turn to chuckle. "Well, yeah. Why not?" She paused, then not wanting to sound pushy, "Unless you'd rather travel alone of course."

When he didn't respond, her expression quickly grew uncomfortable. "It's okay, forget I said anything. I know some people prefer travelling alone and if that's how-"

Her sentence cut off when Hamza grabbed her face, roughly pulling her towards him until she hovered over his lap. Her stomach was pressed against the armrest, her hands balancing on his thighs. He grinned at her shocked expression, quickly bending his head to give her a kiss, firmly pressing his lips against hers for a nanosecond.

It felt like a year in Laila's head. She could almost feel her toes comically curling in her shoes.

"I'd be honored if you accompanied me on my trip." Hamza whispered, still cupping her face in his hands. She tried to respond, but it was as if there was something stuck in her throat. It also didn't help that her mind was blaring the same siren repeatedly.

HE JUST KISSED ME HE JUST KISSED ME HE JUST KISSED ME HE JUST KISSED ME HE JUST-

Somehow, the spontaneity of the kiss made it even more intimate than the first one they shared. Even though it was only a second, and completely random, the way he naturally pulled her over and brought her close in an ordinary moment ensued a sense of affection that surpassed lust. She felt her heartstrings tug at the sincerity of the action.

"Earth to Laila."

She snapped out of her thoughts, automatically smiling up at him. "So it's settled?" She asked, her words muffling as he squished her cheeks together. "Mmmf slor?"

"Yes." He confirmed, giving her one last peck before releasing her from his hold. He jumped out of his seat and jogged around the car to her door, opening it for her. She got out and let him walk her to the door. She stood on the front steps, watching him run back to his car and hop in. She remained there and waved him off until his car disappeared from her line of sight.

She knew right then and there, she was in love with Hamza.

So in love. 

------

A/N: Thank you for reading! Please drop a vote/comment ❤