Chapter 10

"Draco did you hear?" Ella asked as she sat next to him in the Great Hall

"what?" Draco asked putting a piece of toast in his mouth

"Dumbledore's gone" Ella said taking the toast out of his mouth and taking a bite

Draco shrugged and took the toast back from her "I honestly couldn't care less"

"mhm" Ella rolled her eyes taking a piece of bread out of the basket

Two weeks later they were in Posions class with Draco rambling to Ella, Crabbe, and Goyle.

"I always thought Father might be the one who got rid of Dumbledore," he said, not troubling to keep his voice down. "I told you he thinks Dumbledore's the worst headmaster the school's ever had. Maybe we'll get a decent headmaster now. Someone who won't want the Chamber of Secrets closed. McGonagall won't last long, she's only filling in..."  

"Sir," Draco loudly to Snape "Sir, why don't you apply for the headmaster's job?"

"yeah dad I'm sure you'd be great" Ella agreed happily

"Now, now, you two" said Snape, though he couldn't suppress a thin-lipped smile. "Professor Dumbledore has only been suspended by the governors. I daresay he'll be back with us soon enough."

"Yeah, right," said Malfoy, smirking. "I expect you'd have Father's vote, sir, if you wanted to apply for the job - I'll tell Father you're the best teacher here, sir"

Snape smirked as he swept off around the dungeon, fortunately not spotting Seamus Finnigan, who was pretending to vomit into his cauldron.

"I'm quite surprised the Mudbloods haven't all packed their bags by now," Malfoy went on. "Bet you five Galleons the next one dies. Pity it wasn't Granger--"

"Draco" Ella hissed hitting his side

The bell rang at that moment, which was lucky; at Malfoy's last words, Ron had leapt off his stool, and in the scramble to collect bags and books, his attempts to reach Malfoy went unnoticed.

"Let me at him," Ron growled as Harry and Ella hung onto his arms. "I don't care, I don't need my wand, I'm going to kill him with my bare hands--"

"No way" Ella said "He's not worth it"

"What happened to Malfoy being your friend or some bullshit like that?" Ron snapped angrily

"Shut it Weasley" Ella snapped back

"Ella" Harry said

"Sorry" She apologized to Ron

"Yeah I'm sorry too, It's hard to imagine being friends with a Slytherin, it takes some time getting used to" Ron said sheepishly

"Same here Gryffindor" Ella laughed and Ron smiled

"God you two, I thought i would've had to block you guys" Harry sighed

Ella said goodbye to her brother and rejoined Draco happily as Snape led them all to Herbology. Professor Sprout set them all to work pruning the Abyssinian Shrivelfigs. Ella was with Draco for groups, even though Harry wanted to be with her.

"This is so annoying" Draco complained

"I know, I hate Herbology" Ella agreed

"It might come in handy though" Draco sighed

"But it's so revolting, I hate being outside" Ella whined

"too hard for you princess" Draco teased

"shut up" Ella said poking his side and Draco laughed

"I bet you've never worked a day in your life" Draco continued as Ella blushed in embarrassment "but" he continued and she looked up at him "with me around you won't ever have to"

Ella blushed "what are you implying" 

"oh nothing" Malfoy said going back to work

"mhm" Ella hummed in disbelief

They were then escorted to their Defense Against the Dark Arts class. Lockhart bounded into the room and the class stared at him. Every other teacher in the place was looking grimmer than usual, but Lockhart appeared nothing short of buoyant.

"Come now," he cried, beaming around him. "Why all these long faces?"

People swapped exasperated looks, but nobody answered.

"Don't you people realize," said Lockhart, speaking slowly, as though they were all a bit dim, "the danger has passed! The culprit has been taken away--"

"Says who?" said Dean Thomas loudly.

"My dear young man, the Minister of Magic wouldn't have taken Hagrid if he hadn't been one hundred percent sure that he was guilty," said Lockhart, in the tone of someone explaining that one and one made two.

"Hagrid is a great man, that arrest was totally unnecessary. Besides what would you know, your just a coward that writes fairy tales for fun" Ella snapped

"I flatter myself I know a touch more about Hagrid's arrest than you do, Ms. Potter" said Lockhart in a self-satisfied tone.

Class went on like normal and totally crappy in Ella's opinion.  Ella and Draco silently made fun on Lockhart the entire class. Totally worth the whole hour. After classes they ate at the Great Hall before going to their chambers.

"I wonder what Harry's doing" Ella mumbled to herself before falling asleep.