Chapter 19

Ella and Draco handed in their bags and headed aboard the train. They were joined by Crabbe and Goyle. Ella fixed her hair as they headed down the rows.

"Father actually considered sending me to Durmstrang rather than Hogwarts, you know. He knows the headmaster, you see. Well, you know his opinion of Dumbledore - the man's such a Mudblood-lover - and Durmstrang doesn't admit that sort of riffraff. But Mother didn't like the idea of me going to school so far away. Father says Durmstrang takes a far more sensible line than Hogwarts about the Dark Arts. Durmstrang students actually learn them, not just the defense rubbish we do " Draco said

"I agree with your mother, what would i do without my bestie" Ella said holding onto Draco's arm

"I'll agree with you on that" Draco replied smiling

They sat in a compartment, Draco and Ella on one side, Crabbe and Goyle on the other. The rain became heavier and heavier as the train moved farther north. The sky was so dark and the windows so steamy that the lanterns were lit by midday.

"I can hear their voices from here" Draco said annoyed

"You mean my brother and his friend's?" Ella asked waking up from her nap on Draco's shoulder

"come" Draco said taking Ella's hand and leaving the compartment with Crabbe and Goyle following

-

"We saw him right up close, as well," said Ron. "We were in the Top Box -"

"For the first and last time in your life, Weasley. "

Draco Malfoy had appeared in the doorway, next to him Ella. Bhind him stood Crabbe and Goyle, his enormous, thuggish cronies, both of whom appeared to have grown at least a foot during the summer. Evidently they had overheard the conversation through the compartment door, which Dean and Seamus had left ajar.

"Don't remember asking you to join us, Malfoy," said Harry coolly.

"Weasley. . . what is that?" said Malfoy, pointing at Pigwidgeon's cage. A sleeve of Ron's dress robes was dangling from it, swaying with the motion of the train, the moldy lace cuff very obvious.

Ron made to stuff the robes out of sight, but Malfoy was too quick for him; he seized the sleeve and pulled.

"Look at this!" said Malfoy in ecstasy, holding up Ron's robes and showing Crabbe and Goyle, "Weasley, you weren't thinking of wearing these, were you? I mean - they were very fashionable in about eighteen ninety. . . "

"Eat dung, Malfoy!" said Ron, the same color as the dress robes 

Malfoy howled with derisive laughter; Crabbe and Goyle guffawed stupidly. Ella took the dress robes from Draco and gave them back to Ron.

"Thanks Ella" Ron mumbled

Draco pushed Ella back behind him "So. . . going to enter, Weasley? Going to try and bring a bit of glory to the family name? There's money involved as well, you know. . . you'd be able to afford some decent robes if you won. . . . "

"What are you talking about?" snapped Ron.

"Are you going to enter?" Malfoy repeated. "I suppose you will, Potter? You never miss a chance to show off, do you?"

"Either explain what you're on about or go away, Malfoy," said Hermione testily, over the top of The Standard Book of Spells, Grade 4.

A gleeful smile spread across Malfoy's pale face

"Don't tell me you don't know?" he said delightedly. "You've got a father and brother at the Ministry and you don't even know? My God, my father told me about it ages ago. . . heard it from Cornelius Fudge. But then, Father's always associated with the top people at the Ministry. . . . Maybe your father's too junior to know about it, Weasley. . . yes. . . they probably don't talk about important stuff in front of him. . . . "

"Draco that's enough" Ella tugged at his arm

Laughing once more, Malfoy beckoned to Crabbe and Goyle, and the three of them disappeared.

"I'm sorry" Ella said before quickly following them

"I don't know what your sister sees in that slimy git" Ron said slamming the door

"They're not dating" Harry said angrily

As the train doors opened, there was a rumble of thunder overhead. The rain was now coming down so thick and fast that it was as though buckets of ice-cold water were being emptied repeatedly over their heads.

Draco took his robe off and held it over Ella's head "let's hurry up"

"You're gonna get a cold" Ella said

"I'll be fine, i'm more worried about you idiot" Draco replied

Ella pouted in annoyance "dork"

"You're so cute when you're angry" Draco teased

Ella blushed "s-shut up you snake"