Chapter 23

A few weeks past by, Ells noticed Harry seemed worried about something. She had tried asking him about it but he would always tell her to not worry about it. Their lessons were becoming more difficult and demanding than ever before, particularly Moody's Defense Against the Dark Arts. 

To their surprise, Professor Moody had announced that he would be putting the Imperius Curse on each of them in turn, to demonstrate its power and to see whether they could resist its effects.

"Isn't that illegal?" Ella questioned

"Dumbledore wants you taught what it feels like," said Moody "If you'd rather learn the hard way - when someone's putting it on you so they can control you completely - fine by me"

Ella smirked "Alright, but remember to save the best for last"

Moody began to beckon students forward in turn and put the Imperius Curse upon them. Not one of them seemed to be able to fight off the curse, and each of them recovered only when Moody had removed it. Draco wasn't even able to break it.

"Alright, Potter" Moody said, turning to her "your turn"

Ella moved forward into the middle of the classroom, into the space that Moody had cleared of desks. Moody raised his wand, pointed it at Ella, and said, "Imperio!"

At first Ella felt a floating sensation as every thought and worry in  her head was wiped gently away, leaving nothing but a vague, untraceable happiness, she heard Mad-Eye Moody's voice, echoing in some distant chamber of his empty brain: Jump onto the desk. . . jump onto the desk. . .

Why, though? Another voice had awoken in the back of her brain. Sounds like a stupid thing to do, really, said the voice. 

Ella's eyes glowed green before she felt herself come to.

"Now, that's more like it!" growled Moody's voice, and suddenly, Ella felt the empty, echoing feeling in her head disappear.

"Look at that, you lot. . . Potter fought! She fought it, and she damn beat it! Very good, Potter, very good indeed! They'll have trouble controlling you!" Moody shouted happily "Your brother took about 4 more tries, looks like the female twin got more fight in her"

"He talks like we were all going to be attacked any second" Ella said as her and Draco left class

"How did you fight it off?" Draco questioned "the curse"

"I don't know, I'm just not the type of girl to let people control me" Ella said questionably, before smiling stupidly and walking ahead

"this girl is too incompetent to even know how amazing she is" Draco muttered to himself before catching up to her

In all their classes their teachers were now giving them a bunch of work. Even Hagrid was adding to their workload. The Blast-Ended Skrewts were growing at a remarkable pace given that nobody had yet discovered what they ate. 

Hagrid was delighted, and as part of their "project," suggested that they come down to his hut on alternate evenings to observe the skrewts and make notes on their extraordinary behavior.

"I will not," said Draco Malfoy flatly when Hagrid had proposed this "I see enough of these foul things during lessons, thanks. "

Hagrid's smile faded off his face.

"Yeh'll do wha' yer told," he growled, "or I'll be takin' a leaf outta Professor Moody's book. . . . I hear yeh made a good ferret, Malfoy. "

The Gryffindors roared with laughter. Malfoy flushed with anger, but apparently the memory of Moody's punishment was still sufficiently painful to stop him from retorting. 

"You shut your damn mouths!" Ella shouted which shut everyone up

Hagrid sighed "Ella language please"