3. Can You Help Me?

It's been a few days since I started texting Pedo Bear. I'm surprised he hasn't gotten bored of me yet. Well, he doesn't really know me, he knows Vengeance. I'm surprised I actually texted what Vengeance would say too. I would never have the guts to say things I've sent in person, face to face.

The bell snaps me out of my thoughts. All around me, students quickly pack up their things and hurry out of the class. I purposely lag behind, hoping to avoid the worst of the crowd. Most people eat lunch in the cafeteria. I like to eat in the halls, where it's quieter and I can be alone in my own thoughts.

I walk through the halls to my locker, dodging and weaving around groups of students that walk super slow and take up the whole hall. I put my things in the shelf in my locker, and grab my lunch out of my backpack, along with my phone. I'll take the risk of having it broken by my bullies if they find me with it, I wanna text with my only friend.

If you can even call us friends.

I close my locker, not locking it and sitting in front of it, leaning against it. I take my sandwich out of my lunch and open my text messages on my phone.

Today 11:30 AM

Me: Hey

He doesn't respond right away. He's probably with friends. Must be nice having more than one. If I had friends, I'd probably be the silent follower. The extra, that no one really needs.

I wonder if Pedo Bear sees me like that. Just a source of entertainment, nothing more. Something to be used and thrown away.

I feel my phone vibrate in my hands, startling me out of my daydream.

Pedo Bear: Hey, how's your day in hell so far?

Me: You don't have to add the "in hell" part. Just say "how's your day so far?"

Pedo Bear: Why?

Me: I'm in hell 24/7. School, home, wherever, it's all hell to me.

Pedo Bear: Dude seriously, are you OK?

No. No, I'm not. And I doubt I ever will be.

Me: Yes, I'm fine

Pedo Bear: ............. I don't believe you.

Pedo Bear: ...................... I'm not OK either.

Me: What?

Pedo Bear: Look, I'm sorry for bringing this up out of the blue, but I don't know if I know you, and I like you. So, if I start telling you things about me, that I haven't told anyone, can you try and help me? Like an anonymous help chat thing?

Can I do that? Probably... If it keeps him around longer, I guess I can try.

Me: Yeah. I promise I won't tell anyone.

Me: Again, not like I have anyone to tell anyway.

Pedo Bear: You make me worried about you. ('・_・')

I notice Aaron walking down the hall towards me, looking at his phone. As he gets closer to me, I look down at my lap, hoping to be left alone. I feel Aaron's gaze on me for a few seconds, but he doesn't stop to bully me. He just keeps walking past.

I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding. I wonder where Jaxon, Nicholai and Damon are; those four are always together.

My phone vibrates, drawing my attention back to it.

Pedo Bear: Are you sure you're OK?

I hesitate. Tell, or don't tell? Well, if he's trusted me with the fact he's not, I guess I can return the trust.

Me: No

Pedo Bear: Wanna elaborate?

Me: No

Pedo Bear: Didn't think so. I will though, if you don't mind. Secret #1.

Me: Go ahead

Pedo Bear: I'm the popular kid in my school. You know the stereotype, jock, player, asshole. That's what everyone sees me as.

Pedo Bear: I'm not really like that though.

Me: What do you mean?

Pedo Bear: It's a mask. I pretend to be like that.

Me: Why?

He doesn't reply right away. I notice Aaron is standing at the end of the hall, next to the doors leading outside, leaning against the wall and looking at his phone.

Something just makes me wonder, what if I've been texting him? I can't see him saying things Pedo Bear has sent. But I guess I have only ever seen his bully side, never any other side of him. I try to imagine Aaron as Pedo Bear. With the worry about me, and goofiness, and emoticons.

I could sort of see that, barely... I think I see too much good in people.

Pedo Bear: You know the desire to be accepted? You want people to accept you, and not to be shunned for something you can't control?

Me: Yeah.

Pedo Bear: That's why. I just want to be accepted by everyone. Society, and my family.

Me: Why wouldn't they accept you?

Pedo Bear: Promise you won't stop texting me?

Me: You're the only friend I have, the only person whose not a teacher that treats me like a human being. I promise I won't stop. If anything, promise you won't stop texting me.

Pedo Bear: I promise.

Pedo Bear: Anyway, my family are all major homophobes.

Pedo Bear: And, uh

Pedo Bear: I'm gay.