12. Friend or Foe?

It's exam week.

The end of first semester. I think next semester is gonna be a little more fun, at least the last two periods will be. I have science and math in the morning, but foods and art after lunch. Aaron's told me he has the same schedule, and apparently Damon does too. While I'm a little scared about Damon, I'm OK with having Aaron in all my classes

We've grown closer over the time leading up to the exams. I don't flinch so badly every time he touches me, and I can see he's happier around me too.

I glance at the clock, seeing there's only ten minutes left.

Argh, what do I put? I need to finish this damn English essay. I have the introduction, conclusion, and two and a half reasons. Just need to finish the third supporting reason to my answer. OK, the theme throughout the book is how life isn't always fair, that the best people don't always get the best things, and sometimes horrible people are in better positions in life. I say no, that karma isn't fair in the book. If it was, then she wouldn't be a slave, and he wouldn't be so rich. So who else has an unfair life for who they are and how they act?

Me. But I can't add that, can I? Would a real life example help? Well, it's all I have to go on right now. If I just detach myself from it, and say my life happened to a friend, then it should be good.

My fingers speed over the keyboard. God, I'm so glad we were allowed to use the school laptops if we wanted to, there's no way I would write an essay by hand. They have someone monitoring the usage of them, so they'll know if someone tries to cheat and look things up online.

Before long, the exam is over.

I rush out of the room and downstairs to my locker, hoping to avoid crowds of friends asking each other how they found the exams they just wrote. I think there was another grade 10 English class writing, and then the exams for the courses that other grades had during third period.

I put my pencil case in my locker and grab my coat, hat and phone, the only things I brought today since I can just leave now that the exam is over. And since there's no music exam, I'm done with exams for first semester.

As I close my locker, I realize I need to go to the bathroom. Cursing my bladder, I head to the closest washroom, silently praying for it to be empty.

Lucky for me, it is. I do my business quickly, and am in the process of washing my hands when I hear the door open. My body tenses slightly when Damon comes in, thankfully alone. Better him alone than him, Jaxon and Nicholai. Though if Aaron was with them, then maybe that would be better.

"Oh, hey Skye," Damon says, giving me a bright smile. "How'd you find the exam?"

I don't answer, avoiding eye contact and hoping he'll just leave me alone.

"Right, you think I'm a meanie," Damon mumbles, frowning to himself as he finishes his business and comes over to wash his hands. He perks up and smiles at me again. "Well, that's only around the mean homophobes Aaron and Jaxon. Hey, can I tell you a secret? You can't tell anyone, and I mean anyone. Not even yourself in the mirror, OK?"

I blink, not knowing what to make of this bubbly, cheery side of him. Jeez, did all of my bullies hide part of themselves because of each other? They have some problems.

"Alright," I say quietly. "I won't tell anyone."

Damon's eyes narrow and he studies me in a sort of playful way before he grins again. This side of him can't keep that grin off his lips.

"Well, I never liked or wanted to bully you," he starts. He pauses, some of that cheery aura flattering. "I know what's it's like to be abused physically, it's not something I want to be a part of doing to someone else. I... Don't know why I ever went along with bullying you. I've been friends with Aaron, Jaxon and Nic since our diaper days, so I guess I have hard time going against them... God, I'm pathetic."

He sniffles, a few tears gathering in his eyes. I panic slightly. What do I do? Comfort him? Leave? Stand here awkwardly?

"Uh, I would say comforting stuff," I mumble, "but I suck a comforting, so... Oh god just kill me now." I groan, hitting my head against the wall softly. Why did I say anything at all? "See, this is why I'm antisocial; I suck at social situations."

Damon chuckles softly. "I like you, I don't know why I never tried befriending you when you first moved here."

"You remember that?" I ask, surprised.

He nods. "I remember thinking 'hey, who's the new kid. He's cute, like me. We can be cute together! The world wouldn't be able to handle our cuteness and everyone would die. I'm gonna be his first friend, and we can take over the world together! He looks like he's friendly, but shy. Cute people can't be shy, they know that they can get people to do anything for them with just a pout.' And so on. As you can see, I wasn't exactly normal."

I nod. "Why are you telling me this?"

Damon shrugs. "I've been wanting to say it for a while. Now just seemed like one of the only chances I'll get to speak with you alone. Hey, do you have a phone? We can be texting buddies!"

After letting him put his number in my phone, and seeing that he gave himself the contact name Salvatore, I decide it's time for me to head off.

"I'll talk to you later," Damon says happily. "Jaxon wants to drag us off to the bowling alley and arcade since Aaron's seemed distant lately. I hope he's OK. Even if he can be a dickwad, he's still one my besties."

"Damon, hurry your ass up!" Aaron's voice says as the door opens slightly. "We're all waiting on you!"

"Fuck you, Mitchell, I was talking to Ciel!" Damon says, scowling and heading out the door.

I wait a few seconds then leave. Walking down the hall to the left, I see Aaron and Damon walking towards the doors. As if sensing my gaze, Aaron glances back and sees me, a worried, questioning look appearing in his eyes. I give him nod, telling him I'm fine before turning and heading the opposite way, towards the west entrance, the doors on the other side of the school, the shorter route to the park.

I put my ear buds in as I walk, then pull my hat over my ears, stepping outside into the cool winter air. I'm glad it's not freezing like last week, I hated walking home in that temperature.

Picking a song, I tuck my phone into my pocket and look around at the snow covered town as I walk.

I don't know what to think of Damon. He seemed honest, and nice. It would explain why he seemed hesitant and uncomfortable during the last few times they've bullied me. Ugh, I don't know what to do. Give him a chance, or keep him away from me?

Will he become a friend, or remain a foe?