18. Reconnecting

My R - Hikaru Station

"Everything looks alright. You should be able to leave tomorrow or the day after, but you'll need to take it easy. You're not in gym class, are you?"

I shake my head, "I dropped it as soon as I could."

Lucas smiles, "Damon did too. He likes fitness, and self defence, but hates the gym curriculum, all the sports."

I tilt my head. "Self defence sounds interesting. Do you think he'd teach me?"

"Of course he would. All you'd have to do is ask."

I smile and nod.

As Lucas leaves to check on other patients, I finish the last math question. Damon protested to the idea of me doing schoolwork, but I'm usually bored so it gives me something to do.

I was surprised, I actually got bored of daydreaming. I thought the world was coming to an end.

Anyway, it's been three days. Dad got me a new phone. Damon has been visiting everyday after school, bringing Nicholai with him. It took a few minutes, but Nicholai opened up to me, letting me see past the blank mask I've always seen on him. Damon explained that Nicholai is the protective kind of person who wants to make sure the ones he cares about are safe. Apparently he's also a "cute little sweetheart who wouldn't hurt a fly unless it was absolutely necessary."

Damon's words, not mine.

He hasn't told Aaron about me, where I am, or what happened. And while he's stopped being so harsh to Aaron, he still does little things to annoy him.

I look up from my book when my new phone buzzes. Reaching for it, I see it's a FaceTime call from Damon.

Curious since he's at school, I accept.

"What is it, Damon?" I ask.

"Ssh. Watch."

He turns switches the camera to the front one, and I see Aaron facing Jaxon in the cafeteria, everyone's eyes on them.

"You wanna say that again?" Jaxon says challengingly.

Aaron's expression is blank, his voice hard. "I lied. I'm gay. I was dating Skye. I don't give a damn what you think, what anyone thinks; I'm tired of pretending and hiding just to make bigots like you happy."

"I'll tell your dad," Jaxon growls. "What's he gonna say, having a faggot son like you?"

"I already told him," Aaron says bluntly. "This morning. Didn't wait around for an answer. And I'm not gonna wait for one from you."

With that, Aaron turns and walks quickly out of the cafeteria. The camera view shakes as Damon hands the phone to Nicholai and goes running after Aaron, Nicholai quickly following him.

"Mitchell!" Damon calls down the hall.

Aaron stops and turns, looking surprised to see Damon coming after him.

"What do you want? Gonna annoy me some more?" Aaron asks. I can tell he's trying to keep his voice even and emotionless, but I can hear pain in his tone. Aaron looks to Nicholai, eyes narrowing, "wait, are you recording this?"

"No," Nicholai replies. "It's a FaceTime call with someone who deserves to hear why you did what you did."

Aaron pauses, quickly masking the hopeful look in his eyes. "Skye?"

Damon nods. "Yeah."

"Are you OK?" Aaron asks worriedly, looking at the camera and walking towards Nicholai to look at the phone screen. "Where are you? I'm sorry, Skye, really. I... I panicked and did what I've always done, protect myself."