10. Brother Knows

I open the front door quietly, stepping inside and looking around hesitantly. Mom's car is parked in the driveway, so I know she's home.

"It's about time you got home, boy," her voice rings out loudly as a close the door.

I wince. "Hi Mom."

"Don't speak to me in that ungrateful tone," she hisses, stalking over. "I give you a roof to sleep under. I give you the food you need to survive. If it wasn't for me, you would be nothing more that a street rat, selling your body to make just a little bit of money."

Before I can react, she gives me a harsh bitch slap, the sound of her hand hitting my cheek echoing softly in the hall.

Do I want to ask if I can go over to Aaron's house? Or should I just not ask and tell him I can't go? Well, I don't really want to stay here.

"Uh, Mom?" I ask softly as she goes to storm away, making sure my words are clear enough to be understood.

"What?" she snaps.

I wince. "Uh, I was invited to go over to a classmate's house tomorrow."

"Really? Why? Who would want to invite you?" She spits, stepping towards me, a dangerous glint in her eyes. "You're just going over to get yourself fucked, aren't you, whore?"

"N-no. It's... to finish a school project," I reply, quickly thinking of a lie. "It's a partner project due on Monday, and we're not done yet."

"Fine," she says dismissively after studying me for a few seconds. "Go. Stay as along as you want, maybe I'll finally get some peace around here. Just done forget to collect the money you earn for whoring yourself out."

With that, she marches upstairs, and I hear her bedroom door slam shut. I release a breath I didn't know I was holding. She's really letting me go. I really didn't think she would. Her words sting, but... I'm used to it by now.

I grab an apple and two oranges as dinner before heading upstairs to my room. Closing the door, I put my school bag down by the dresser and set the apple and oranges on top before falling onto my bed.

For once, I don't really feel like cutting. I want to text with Aaron, and have him distract me from the crushing darkness that always grips me when I'm home.

Today 3:45pm

Pedo Bear: AH, you get permission to come over?

Pedo Bear: Heyy

Pedo Bear: What have I said about ignoring me, AH?

Pedo Bear: Come on, I need an excuse to not talk to my homophobic family. I don't wanna listen to Dad dissing the rainbow.

Pedo Bear: AH ( 'Д')

Me: Yeah, I can come over. What's your address?

Pedo Bear: Finally! You take a long time to answer.

Pedo Bear: And it's Maplewood drive, house number 75.

Me: So not too far from my house.

Me: My lazy ass can manage to walk that far.

Pedo Bear: I can see if one of parents can come pick you up?

Me: Nah, I'm good. I can daydream while I walk.

Pedo Bear: Don't accidentally walk into the road.

Me: I always daydream walking home from school, and I'm still here aren't I?