Journal Entry #1

2.3.56 - Nym Seaver

Day One. My name is Nym Seaver and this journal serves as my project for my Journaling Basics class. For the next 16 weeks, I will be journaling my days, major events, and whatever random stuff that happens. So, today is February 3rd, 2556. It's the start of the semester and I'm back to work at the factory. 

My brother, Cormac, is also back in school. He's only a grade behind me and this is his first year in Vocational school. Secretly, I'm proud of him. His senior year of Secondary turned out really rough but he's taking things in stride this year. I hear there's a chance he could transfer out to a local farm at the end of his first year for early internship. He's going to be an amazing farmer like dad. I can't wait to watch him succeed.

In less exciting news, I'm not so confident about my own semester. I know I can make it, but I have to retake history. Turns out when one student cheats on their exam the system can't determine who cheated so it fails the whole class. 

Frustrating, but I'll get over it. At least history means I'll have lots of things to journal about. Expect a lot of drafts and random information tidbits. In fact...I have some for you already! We did chapter one of our book, which I remember vividly, so here's a couple of interesting things I picked up on.

Like most textbooks, we started learning about the Disaster first. It's our historical turning point as it marks the end of the "Green Age". In primary school they only give you outlines about it and everything starts with air pollution. What we learned is that it wasn't just pollution in the air. It was pollution in the oceans. Essentially, we killed whatever was in our oceans that was producing the most oxygen along with all the trees and plants. 

Then came the Nuclear Disaster. Turns out in our textbooks there are two Disasters. The first details the pollution, the second the Nuclear Disaster that sent everyone Underground. I did always wonder why my parents always used the terms "First" and "Second" Disaster Era.

The second thing I found interesting in class today. My history teacher apparently owns six cats. Pets are exceptionally rare now. She showed us pictures, though! I wanna pet them...

Anyway, back to actual interesting history bits. I remember these better now that I had them hammered into my head last semester. There's so much they teach in Primary school that's watered down, though. 

You see, it turns out that the World Coalition didn't exist for the first-century humanity lived underground. It wasn't until 2497 that we actually came back above ground, but that's beside the point. In 2233 the World Coalition started because people were running out of air underground. Originally the name belonged to an old diving company (full name World Diving Coalition) who produced oxygen tanks. 

They're the reason we have our system of domes and rationed tanks today. They partnered with the government to build tanks of air for people underground. They also started the greenhouses to provide oxygen for later generations. Smart idea, guys. It's what modeled the Greenhouse Domes we have today. Cormac wants to work in one when he's older. I have faith he will.

I'm still not clear on how, but apparently World Coalition merged with the government and the two became one. Now that's the name of our government. They provide the oxygen rations to those of us unable to live inside the domed cities, and they maintain the politics between us and the domed cities. 

I'm afraid I don't know much of politics, though. I was supposed to take government this year...but I'm back in history instead. Maybe next year. 

So yeah. Hope this wasn't too long? Not sure what length these entries are supposed to be...

I'll ask tomorrow. 

-

Future Note:  [date is now 4.20.56] I forgot about this project, so sorry to my teacher! There might be a pretty big gap between my first and second entries to my current entries. I hope you won't dock my grade for this.